What do you think about my pond is it ok?

Reaction score
What do you think about my pond is it ok for me to use this size of pond to grow some smaller koi's?
  • pond size: 1.5m x 3-3.5m
  • deep: at least 4 feet or more
  • with proper water filtration system
  • w/ air pumps.
  • location philippines(quite sunny on my place around this month of the year).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sounds good but if you are thinking of koi they do not like heat .I even have to put a shade sail over my pond in the summer and it is around 4 ft deep also .I have to keep a deep thermometer and shallow one in my pond to keep the water temps . If water gets to hot it stresses koi .

Reaction score
I'am planing to put some larger plants near my pond(around it) to shade it but would that be enough?
or i really need to put some roof above the pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use a shade sail so air circulates around the pond .If the roof is far enough up it would work .But you have to prepare your self for fish that have lots of babies also .Is the pond above or below ground .Goldies and shubbies can take heat better and can take ph swings and koi are very fussy about water quality .I have 2 filters and second filter i may have to make bigger .Remember also that the warmer the water is the more oxygen the fish will need and use up .I added an aerator.Also koi produce a lot of waste compared to other fish

Reaction score
its above ground pond i guess(but 1 feet of the pond is below the ground) and got 1 water filter and air pump(double) the roof is not yet set..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What is your definition of 'proper water filtration system'? :)

You can try to have lotus/water lilly to shade the pond too. I'm from Thailand and I know how hot we get down there (I live in the US now). I dont own koi but since Sissy said it doesnt like hot then you might want to try to shade majority of the pond/ what ever way you think is best. Plant might do but then you will have to deal with leafs falling in to the pond :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine is half above and half below ground and do notice in the summer that the top of the water is cooler than below ground part with the shade sail up and guessing that is do to the above ground part being exposed to air circulation and the below ground level part only being exposed to the heated soil around the pond .We get some really hot summers here and with my pond being in sun most of the day it helps also to put plants around it since watering plants adds to the coolness of the air and ground .Like when you have misters on your patio or deck to cool people off .

Reaction score
So your pond will be about 1600 gallon?
this is what i exactly don't know :D all i know its at least 4 feet deep.

I'm trying to get my hands on lilies and lotus but its out of stock for now maybe next month or so.
but i might get my hands on these plants

Attachments

• apsda.jpg
    apsda.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The home made ones always work better than store bought ,plus pride in doing it yourself .I guess nepen would know more about the weather you have so glad nepen posted .My filter .You may need to work with what you can get locally .I give you credit it is not easy doing ponds where you have to get stuff shipped to you and work with limited stuff

Attachments

• rain storm 4-15 2014 007.JPG
    rain storm 4-15 2014 007.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 216
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I used online calculation to get the pond volume :)

I'm not an filter expert, dont know if that'll be enough for the koi since they produce a lot of waste.

If i were in hot climate I'll be building a bog to filter my pond instead

A bog in this context is an area next to your pond that got water feeding from the pond to the bottom of the bog (through pipe at the bottom of the bog) the bog filled with pea gravels. The water then run up and through the pea gravel and back to the pond. Then you get to plant all kind of things that love wet ground in the bog. The plants will clean the water / filter the water for you. Lemon grass will love the bog.

How to build a bog https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/bog-building.6894/

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
True I put lemon grass and fountain grass and zebra grass in my filters but I do have to trim the roots often and lemon grass smells great too .My filters last year

Attachments

• pond 2013 011.JPG
    pond 2013 011.JPG
    312.4 KB · Views: 245
  • pond 2013 015.JPG
    pond 2013 015.JPG
    365.4 KB · Views: 223

Ask a Question