What do you think about my pond is it ok?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would not get more than 3 because they will have lots of babies unless you plan on going to a bigger pond in the future .My pond is around 3900 gallons

Reaction score
this pond will be my main pond for a while.
im planing to make 2 more pond or 3 later on...

if i get a koi with 5-8" how many would be suitable for my pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If your gallons are truly 1600 hundred and these fish are going to lay eggs you may not want more than 3 fish .To safe guard the babies you may need to remove the eggs and allow them to hatch as the females will eat them and small fry unless the babies have a place to hide from the bigger fish .Have you also made sure that there is no ban on koi there .Some places ban the shipment of them because people put them in lakes and streams to get rid of them .I usually end up with around 30 babies that manage to hide from me every year but I give them away .

Reaction score
If your gallons are truly 1600 hundred and these fish are going to lay eggs you may not want more than 3 fish .To safe guard the babies you may need to remove the eggs and allow them to hatch as the females will eat them and small fry unless the babies have a place to hide from the bigger fish .Have you also made sure that there is no ban on koi there .Some places ban the shipment of them because people put them in lakes and streams to get rid of them .I usually end up with around 30 babies that manage to hide from me every year but I give them away .
im planning to get them lay some eggs...

i think i might get smaller one's to gain more experience and knowledge on them
wouldn't be 3 koi's too small for my pond? by the time they are big enough for breeding the other ponds would be ready by then.

Reaction score
Hi. I hope you realize you can get some 5" to 8" Koi now and in 2 years they could be 2 feet long, getting as big as 3 feet long! I also have a 1600 gallon pond. I have common, comet, shubunkin, and fancy goldfish in it, along with 2 Koi. I think if I was just going to have Koi, I would go with 4. 3 would be more ideal, but I like more fish! Now keep in mind if, as you say, you hope the fish will spawn, you will have a big problem on your hands when you have 100 Koi. You will have to kill them, sell them, give them away, or make a bigger pond! I do think your pond is big enough and deep enough for a few Koi. Enjoy.

Reaction score
:facepalm: i value life even if its pet or not...

i might sell them to get more budget for their food ;)

im only planing to raise 50 koi's or less and yea im planning to make bigger ponds later...

Hey dont get me wrong, nobody wants to kill their fish. However, when your Koi produce hundreds of eggs, dozens of the resulting fry could have serious deformaties. I believe the word used in fishkeeping is "cull". You cull the fish noone will really want cause they are defective.

Reaction score
by the way what are this deformaties u mean?

nah...i'll think for plan for those guys later on, i can probably come up with something...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Right now try with a few koi first and see if your filteration is enough for them. You need to have water test kit at least for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, and kH. When koi get big they will produce more waste then you might need to add more filter to handle that. With more koi, you will need more filter.

I understand how you feel about wanting to fill your pond, I was once too filled my 600 gallon pond with 20+ goldfish because I wanted them to 'fill' my pond. But then I forgot to think that they grow and have babies. So I had to give most of them away and left with 6 goldfish. ONE YEAR later, that 6 fish are bigger and now filling in the pond nicely. I still have rooms for new babies though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
sounds good but if you are thinking of koi they do not like heat .I even have to put a shade sail over my pond in the summer and it is around 4 ft deep also .I have to keep a deep thermometer and shallow one in my pond to keep the water temps . If water gets to hot it stresses koi .
sissy thats not exactly true I'm affraid, koi are quite capable of living in water above that of 24c or more :)

Dave (y)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But allowing them to live in too warm of water may cause problems with there health .I have noticed when the water gets to warm in my pond my fish act strange and afraid they may end up with some kind of disease .Better to be safe than sorry .I know I do not like to have more than 20 fish ,it just seems harder for me to maintain water quality and i don't want them to grow to fast .But they do get there veggies and fruit and vitamins to insure there health .I guess I am just afraid that with the limited time I have to work on my pond once summer gets here and with hubbies health problems that something will go wrong .MURPHY'S LAW .I know it is ok to a certain point but you wonder how fast things can really go wrong .If you are buying more expensive fish do you want to loose your investment or protect it .If you plan on a bigger pond or another pond then more fish would be no problem .As long as you have a good filter .But your fish must be acclimated to the pond and the pond must be tested

Ask a Question