2018 Great Koi Round Up Results

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, the babies are in their new home :) The "Fab Four" aka the parents, are calmly swimming about without the frenzy of their off spring :) It's interesting to me, to watch how slow and calm the adult koi are compared to the little ones.
Tula. That's interesting that you get so many babies every year. There must be some good hiding places!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Lisak1 , thank you for sharing your experience with fertilizing. We're to get some cooler weather on Thursday, so it'll be easier to work on the lily pots. It'll be good to get them done and back in the pond!

@CometKeith , Ironically I think the lengths I go to to keep the koi from my lily pots provides eggs and fry, good spots to develop . When the pots are covered with netting, there's a protected area for the eggs and fry :(

Oh well, it's all about choices and I love to see the water lilies .....if I were to do it all over again, I'd do something like @Gemma and have the plants above the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've read comets can live for 20 to 25 years, but the usual lifespan is in the 5 to 10 year range. We will see.....
my Shubies are over a foot long, they are the oldest fish in my pond and I hate to think that soon their lives will be over....so I hope you're wrong and they live to be 40- 50 years old :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Ran around this afternoon trying to find unscented clay kits litter. I finally found one 20 lb bag, so will have to keep searching !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Found more kitty litter, but no luck with fertilizer so will use up my pond tabs and Osamacote. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, but I figure I can work on the pots in the garage and lower them into the pond during break from the rain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
I think I have a love - hate relationship with my water lilies ! Last Spring I didn't divide and repot them, figured I'd let them go this year.......big mistake! I have them covered in deer fencing ( total PITA ) to keep koi from destroying them and the lilies had grown through and into the netting, out the pots and in some cases through the pots!

I was dirty and exhausted trying to disentangle the whole mess, so stopped after 2 pots to call it a day. I'll work on them more today.....but thinking of reducing the amount of lily pots I have in the pond for next year.

Does anyone have a simpler method of koi proving their lilies? I've tried rocks on top without success in the past.
There is a lily container that is called " Safe Haven " . The lily is planted in a pot and the pot is lowered in a floating basket surrounded by wire mesh. The pot and basket are completely koi proof and the leaves and blooms grow out of the pot and float as normal. At the end of the season , pull the container , divide the lily and you are ready for next year. Works great for me . My koi will not touch the leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A

@big ron , is this the item you're discussing? I've never seen this before and appreciate the recommendation, although the price tag is a bit steep .
Yes that is it . However I have the 16" dia. size that works well. I get them from Maryland Aquatic Nurseries and they are $ 81.00 . Yes still a little steep but mine are indestructible and I have large koi 20" plus. Good luck

Ask a Question