40 years waiting finally getting pond. Help!

Reaction score
Hi I'm Wayne and am very excited and also completely outta my depth here. I recently turned 40 and was given a garden pond by my wife. Trouble is I've always wanted to build this garden feature myself but have literally no experience of building.
I am currently in the process of digging the hole (its rectangular and 2 metre X 3.2 metre). I have been doing lots of research and read somewhere that I need a layer of hardcore beneath the pond. I cant find the article since. My question is this (probably the first of many). Do I need a layer of hardcore under pond? Would there not need to be a couple of inch dirt on top to prevent damage to liner? I am beginning to think I may of dreamt this as I cant find the article.
By the way top (raised area) will be made of stone not wood.
Any tips to a complete novice will be very appreciated. Really enjoying the journey so far (planning more than digging!) and looking forward to joining the pond community.
Wayne

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Wayne welcome from sunny Plymouth your only up the A38 from us lol.
What exactly do you aim to be keeping in your pond ?
If its koi you may as well get it done correctly first time around you'll need for koi a pond of 4ft-5ft in depth if you can lay sand under your pond not hardcore, even better if you can get old carpet and lay that,.
What size filter do you wish to add again with koi you'll need something with some umpf in it , you'll also need a U/V-C a good pump to move your water around and a large koi style airpump we use airtec 40e's on ours.
Even with goldfish you'll need some depth to it 4ft.
You could meet each way and have some fish some koi thats all down to you .
But before starting a build plan out exactly what you want to do once thats done work towards seeing your dtream pond

rgrds

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome to the world of ponding! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Gee, I was pregnant with our son on my 40th birthday..... And had to wait an additional 17 years to get my pond.... LOL! :)

One question: what is "hardcore?"

Reaction score
Thanks Dave,

I am planning to start with some goldfish,comets, orfe and shubunkins. Also 1 (maybe 2) Sterlets or similar (yet to research these fish so may not be a possibility). I may also introduce a tench or 2 at a later date as I understand some bottom feeders will enrich the fish community. I do not plan to keep any koi to start as I wish to get some experience of fish keeping but they are definately a possibility for the future hence the depth being dug to start. Oh minnows are a possibility as I understand they will eat from the hand and the kids will love that.
Depth wise the pond will be 60% at 1 metre deep and 40% at 50 - 60 centimetres deep. There will be some of this depth above ground level due to it being a raised pond. It will have a waterfall at one end which will serve to hide the filter system. We are getting (subject to expert advice) a Oase biosmart complete filtration system (1400 model) we believe this to be more than adequate for our needs and enough to cope with change to koi later if needed.
Regarding plants we plan to have lots of oxyginators and marginals with a few pygmy lillies as floaters. I also plan to plant around the waterfall to attract butterflies and other insects to the garden.
Thanks for your interest and advice Dave. I will take some pics and post them on here during the building process.
Waz

Reaction score
Hi Mmathis,

Thanks for your welcome and birthday wishes.Hardcore is basically a layer of stones, old bricks etc. Quite literally a hard core.

Waz

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
The big thing is you don't want anything poking a hole in the liner. In part that depends on what the liner is made off.

People with rocks have to be more careful. From what I have seen as long as the roots are not poking into the liner at construction time they will just grow alongside it

As mentioned carpet is a good cheap source of underlayment.

Reaction score
Thanks Howard.

I have possibly got hold of an old carpet which will cut down to fit. Any reason to carpet the sides of the pond also or no need?

Waz

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! I put carpet pad on the bottom and sides of our pond. We have a ton of rocks, layers of shale, they stick out of the walls. So covered up with padding.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice.

So heres how its gonna be. No hardcore. Old Carpet. underlay (come free with the liner), liner.

Hopefully that'll do the job.

Wishing you all success with your gardens and your ponds.

Wayne

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Welcome to our group! I put carpet pad on the bottom and sides of our pond. We have a ton of rocks, layers of shale, they stick out of the walls. So covered up with padding.
What did you use as padding? I have been warned to be very careful what the liner comes into contact with. Over zealous advice maybe?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
catnwaz said:
What did you use as padding? I have been warned to be very careful what the liner comes into contact with. Over zealous advice maybe?

I used carpet padding, the stuff you put under carpet to make it nice and soft. Worked great, we bought it new. It depends on your dirt, we have a ton of rocks in our dirt. To me putting something between the liner and the dirt is worth the effort rather than take a chance on something putting a hole in the liner. Holes are a pita to find.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
I used carpet padding, the stuff you put under carpet to make it nice and soft. Worked great, we bought it new. It depends on your dirt, we have a ton of rocks in our dirt. To me putting something between the liner and the dirt is worth the effort rather than take a chanc on something putting a hole in the liner. Holes are a pita to find.

Thanks addy,

My dirt is also full of rocks (aint it funny how when out and about rocks seem rounded and smooth but in your own garden theyre all jagged and sharp) and tree roots. I am using carpet to underlay the liner and reckon that I will also use some carpet underlay also. I dont wanna be taking any chances.
Waz

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could get away with just carpet or just carpet underlay. My arizona pond had carpet, this pond has carpet underlay. Or use both if it makes you feel better. Our rocks are real jagged, if you tried to dig one out of the wall of the pond, it would fall out and expose 10 other jagged rock ends.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
It would be great to see where you are with the dig. Pictures would be nice :) We may even spot something that will save you some trouble down the road.

Ask a Question