Abrasions/scabs on goldfish

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
doesnt your test kit test for ammonia ? i would try and get as many snails out as you can (i know that wont be easy) any chance you can post photes of the fish ? it might help others to see them . the thing is it could be burns from ammonia too

Reaction score
no, only the five stated, one with ammonia aswell was going to cost £67.00 and going by what i have read up on blackspot these spots are well defined in about a 2 millimetre diameter almost perfect in shape and none yet around the head and gills. i will try to get a picture up, will have to take 1 first tho :)

Reaction score
i hope this works and you can see what i mean.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 410
  • 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 401
Reaction score
i have but for the moment i have only been able to purchase whitespot remedy but im assuming that it is all paracitical so it might work. dont know where to purchase copper sulphate and dont know whether to put a few copper coins in there for a few weeks. local pet store doesnt stoke anything else. removed the snails tho and sent them back to the store i got them from and warned them of the paracite situation and not to sell to fishkeepers :)

Reaction score
just checked the fish and now there seems to be a white film substance developing on 1 of the fish, i aint havin much luck, think it might be fungal but its literally goin from back of gill to tail. like thin coating of cotton wool, my o my o my :(

Reaction score
That cotton looking stuff on your fish is a secondary fungal infection. If black spots are preceding on your other fish as well, Its very possible/ probable that it is ammonia burn.

Here is my suggestion:

First adding copper to your pond will forever ruin any chances of snails and other natural beneficiary to your pond its toxic for these little guys.

Adding PRIME available in your local pet store is a good way (however not a permanent solution ) to decrease ammonia in your tank. Use double the dose (mentioned on the bottle)

The wool/cotton looking fungus is a sign of poor quality water regardless of what the pet store says, filtration is key here. Here is how to fix it; Quarantine fish that are affected. A hospital aquarium is best here, small enough to keep the fish comfortable without having to use massive amounts of medicine to dose large amounts of water. Remove any carbon filters on your hospital tanks. Use Melefix and Pimafix ( I suggest adding to your pond if all your fish are affected) double the dose of API aquarium salt along with E.M Erythromycin. Change about 50-60% of the water in the tank every day. The key here is super clean water. Before using Erythromycin use melefix/pimaflix and salt. These are natural and best ways to cure, if the problem persists feel free to use Erythromycin. Keep posting updates, ill keep an eye on your thread.

Quick Questions I have for you:
Is feces from your fish, white?
What filtration are you using?
How long has your pond been established?

Ask a Question