Advice on second pond layout with water bog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
C
In all honesty, man, time's getting away from me! I have a koi in a 36G aquarium, and I had every intention of building a pond 2 years ago for him. But then... COVID. My income crashed and I was literally buying food on credit cards, so the pond had to be postponed.

He had outgrown the aquarium 2 years ago, and now it's bordering cruelty.

Best case scenario is that I get the pond built this year, move over a few goldfish and plants from the original pond, let it run over the winter, then put the koi in it next spring. Any hesitation at all right now might mean adding a whole 'nother year to that :-O

I know that you're going to suggest moving the koi to the original pond right now... the concern there is that the filtering is pretty inadequate, and it's just FULL of algae that I haven't been able to remove. So you can really only see a few inches beneath the surface! I know that my goldfish in there seem OK because they come up when I spread pellets, but I really don't want to risk moving my pet koi to a potentially unhealthy habitat.
Clear water doesn't mean healthy water and murky water doesn't mean unhealthy water look at the amazon . It's like chocolate milk.

Sorry you got bit by the covid as all too many did . All I can say is isn't it something covid ended when Russia attacked Ukraine?

Do some tests on your water you never know it may not be that bad or . You can always see if there's a koi dealer or a friendly koi keeper who would adopt your koi untill you did get a new home for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
All I can say is isn't it something covid ended when Russia attacked Ukraine?

Absolutely not trying to get political here, but... my dad is currently in Hospice. He got COVID last February, which led to end stage pulmonary fibrosis; a degenerative and terminal disease similar to COPD, where his lungs are scarred and simply can't process oxygen. That has led to further organ failure. He was admitted to the hospital last week because his heart is starting to fail, and we're not entirely sure whether he'll ever get to go home.

I live in an area where everyone thinks that COVID is fake, which is why we have one of the highest COVID death rates in the nation :-(

But anyway.

Clear water doesn't mean healthy water and murky water doesn't mean unhealthy water look at the amazon . It's like chocolate milk.

To some degree, I have to believe that an excess of algae shows that the water is actually in great condition! LOL Algae wouldn't grow if it was bad, right? But I've had this koi in my home for several years, he eats out of my hand and is always so excited to see me! So I'm suuuuuper hesitant to do anything to risk his health.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Absolutely not trying to get political here, but... my dad is currently in Hospice. He got COVID last February, which led to end stage pulmonary fibrosis; a degenerative and terminal disease similar to COPD, where his lungs are scarred and simply can't process oxygen. That has led to further organ failure. He was admitted to the hospital last week because his heart is starting to fail, and we're not entirely sure whether he'll ever get to go home.

I live in an area where everyone thinks that COVID is fake, which is why we have one of the highest COVID death rates in the nation :-(

But anyway.

To some degree, I have to believe that an excess of algae shows that the water is actually in great condition! LOL Algae wouldn't grow if it was bad, right? But I've had this koi in my home for several years, he eats out of my hand and is always so excited to see me! So I'm suuuuuper hesitant to do anything to risk his health.
I am so very sorry to hear of your father's serious illness.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Never meant to imply was fake in any way. clearly was not .

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks, @SarahT and @GBBUDD . Ironically, my mom died in November 2020 from COPD after a lifetime of smoking. My dad never smoked, but now he's suffering from essentially the exact same problem! Just a different source :-/

His heart actually stopped in August, while he was in the hospital; he got up in the middle of the night to go to the restroom, and that tiny bit of exertion crashed his oxygen levels and made his heart stop. They were able to bring him back, but it was touch and go. I suspect that that's how it will end... my mom faded over time, but with a weaker heart my dad will probably be fine one day and then just go that night. I'm honestly can't sleep at night, I'm constantly watching my phone for fear of the hospital calling.

You're fine, @GBBUDD , and I'm sorry if I misunderstood. It's just a near-constant thing I hear locally, people saying that it's all fake and blah blah blah. So I guess I'm a little sensitive on that one :-(

Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent! You all probably know, I tend to do yard work the most when I'm stressed and/or depressed... which is another reason all of the tree removal and pond construction is happening this year! LOL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is something to be said for going quickly for the one suffering, You have been given the chance to say what you want, hold there hand and say good bye. Though it seems little consolation now.

My dad went in his sleep more or less no warning huge shock to all . it sucked it always does. Keep them with you always . Try to be strong and make peace with it, and most of all let them know so.

Mother in law was a incredible woman, took care of a husband 280 pound quadriplegic in a chair. daughter got M.S she then took care of both then only daughter for decades and once she passed mother went literally a week latter. As soon as she knew everyone was safe and ok .She let go........ strongest person I ever knew came in a little barely five foot tall package.

I don't believe anyone thinks this was fake, but that it was handled so incredibly poorly. Not many realize this is the third time in recent history they tried to control a virus. We were no more successful then they were in the early 1900's unfortunately. The human body is bizzare unlike any other machine the harder it is worked the stronger it gets the more it can cope with.

Ask a Question