Aeromonas Alley - Flesh eating bacteria

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think ultimately the problem are warm blooded animals that come to the water to drink since most of the nasty stuff is transmitted between warm blooded animals; yes, humans are a warm blooded animal as well. The animals have to first be infected by the nasty stuff, but, once they have it, then it can be transmitted to the water source.

KoiZyme, which I read to be highly recommended in particular since it is not an anti-biotic, is used in particular to reduce the population of such nasty stuff, but, ultimately, a proper filtration system and pond cleaning will make much more of an impact on the population of this nasty source.

This is one of the primary reasons, although this purpose is not thought of at first, why UV devices should be installed for a pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Waterbug said:
Species of Aeromonas are very common. Even in swimming pools it is fairly common. I think it would be a pretty big undertaking to remove this bacteria from a liner. And if their numbers are reduced it would be a short time before before their population was back to whatever the pond could support. That's what bacteria are good at.

A more common approach is too reduce its food source to try and keep population lower. And keep up the fish immune system as much as possible and treat cuts asap.
Waterbug I have to agree with you here, I doubt if you could remove all pond bacteria from a liner it would be near impossible

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
For those that are interested in these terrible infections we can get from our lovely hobby this is a tale that should send you scurrying off for your gloves.
It's the tale of a 13 year old girl who contracts fish TB from her fish tank.
Here is the PFK link into this sad story we wish the young lady in question a speedy recovery and hope she can keep her Arm :-

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co...._hand_after_catching_fish_TB&utm_content=html

Quite an horrific tali I think you'll agree

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question