All my fish died

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I had a pond that I bought from Home Depot, all my fish lived in that one. So I decided to build a new pond because it was too small. So I built this new pond bigger and bette. I put pebbles at the bottom. I use this plastic black thing, I forgot what it was. So I transferred all my fish over to this new pond. It was 4 koi’s, and a bunch of comet gold fish, they all died except my to somewhat decent size koi’s.

Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I had a pond that I bought from Home Depot, all my fish lived in that one. So I decided to build a new pond because it was too small. So I built this new pond bigger and bette. I put pebbles at the bottom. I use this plastic black thing, I forgot what it was. So I transferred all my fish over to this new pond. It was 4 koi’s, and a bunch of comet gold fish, they all died except my to somewhat decent size koi’s.
I also forgot to mention some of smaller comet gold fish have white fuzzy stuff, Iam scared that my last two decent size koi will die, I am pretty devastated and don’t know what to do please help me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sorry to hear about your fish. That's horrible.

How long had it been when they started dying from when the time you introduced them into the new pond?

Did you add any new fish or plants that could have contained any diseases or parasites?

Did you use the water and filter from the old pond? They would contain established beneficial bacteria to help kick start your new pond's ecosystem.

What do you mean by blastic black thing?

We need more info before we can help diagnose the problem.

Are you using a preformed hard plastic "pond" or have you dug a hole and used a flexible liner?

Do you have a good test kit? The liquid reagent type is the best. The test strip types tend to be inaccurate.

Is your home's water treated with something like chlorine? If so, did you offset that by using a dechlorinator?

Could some type of pollutant or chemicals have gotten into the new pond? Grass fertilizer, weed killer or other sprays?

How many gallons was your old pond and how many gallons is the new one?
Koi need a lot of room. It is said that one koi needs 1,000 gallons and each additional koi needs an additional 250-500 gallons. They can grow very large and need space to move around, plus they produce an awful lot of waste.

Are you running any type of filter? If so, describe it.

Do you have any aeration? Either an aerator or surface agitation will do.

Do you have any live plants in the pond to help consume the excess nutrients created from the fish waste?

After adding the water to the new pond, how long did you wait before introducing the fish?

Did you add any chemicals or treatments to the new water other than a dechlorinator?

Sorry for so many questions, but we need more info.

Hope we find the problem.
Don't get discouraged or shy off due to all the questions.
We want to help out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is your old pond still running? Can you put them back in it? I am sorry for your loss. I know you were trying to make their life much better.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1661820570886.gif
@Trix_19_1
Sorry about your fish. Sounds like some kind of fungus disease. I'm not up on all this disease stuff tho so hope someone can help you soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So many questions… if you had all those fish in a Home Depot preform it’s kind of shocking any of them are still alive.

But please - more details and we can try to help!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Trix_19_1 Hello and welcome, though your not here under the most pleasant circumstances.

Others have already asked questions that we really need answered before we can even begin to help you out. We need to understand what your set-up was like.

Most problems like this are due to poor water quality. Poor water quality happens when (most of the time) when the pond and filter are too small to deal with the wastes produced by the fish. When the water quality is bad, the fish will get sick. Please read up on THE NITROGEN CYCLE.

Understand that koi require A LOT of water and good filtration to keep them healthy. The recommendation for koi is a minimum of 1000 gallons for the first koi, then add 250-500 gallons per additional koi. A lot of people we see just throw some fish in water and hope for the best, but that’s not how it works.

At this point, your best bet is to find a new home for the remaining koi.

So sorry you’re going through this.

Ask a Question