Ammonia

Reaction score
This morning I lost my first fish to something other than a bird. It was a fancy goldfish (fan tail). I found him floating on his side. I scooped him out in a bucket added an aerator and he was perking up, but then died.

When I tested my water, first test in a long time, I got quite a surprise. My ammonia is at 1 mark. Very strange. I have not had an ammonia problem since I set the pond up.

The Nitrites are at .25. Also strange for my pond. Again, has not been a problem since start up a year and a half ago.

PH at 7.5 / 8 - hard to say based on the color card.

Any thoughts on why this has happened?

I am currently going to do a big water change.

I am fighting green water, but no string algae. I would say I have a lot of plants in the pond. But obviously the pond must be over crowded for this to happen, which is weird, its not like a sea of fish in the pond or anything. The pond is 2200 gall, I really don't know how many fish I have in there.

Any suggestions? Other than expand the pond?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay, I think I know what's going on, basically I think my pond has been filled with alot of rain water and run off. My water is no longer green. Its a clear brown color.

So I guess the green water was using the ammonia, now the green water is gone (over flow and no sun light for a week), now I have ammonia.

Yes, I tested everything. All seems in the normal range, except the ammonia, which I don't normally have a problem with.

I have a pressure filter and water fall bucket.

The sun is back in full force right now, so I guess the water will go green by tomorrow and solve some of the problem for me. BUT what is the long term solution going to be? I guess I need to dig another pond and join them one by a stream. And NO MORE FISH!

Reaction score
Your pond should not be receiving ANY run off.
Whee is the run off coming from?

No it shouldn't, but we don't live in an ideal world. Ordinarily it does not. However, this week has not been ordinary. We have major rain and flooding on the island. Flooding as in Red Cross shelters are open. Lets just say I get off easy with only a bit of run off, peoples houses are flooded.

Reaction score
Maybe consider more biological filtration, like a shower filter?

Good idea. I had a plan for that. but never got around to it and to be honest, after things settled down, I didn't think I needed it.

Any suggestions for a quick and dirty shower filter? I already have a couple of spare pumps. One is 500 or 800 gall (Can't remember) and the other is 2800gall - the pond is approx. 2200 gall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Ah, I thought it could be something that occurred often.
Sorry to hear about all the flooding.

With the runoff you never know what could be entering the pond, so the best thing you can do is a water change with water that you know is of good quality after your situtaion improves.
I hope the worst is over for you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad your house didn't flood!

Shower filters: (net pictures) Looks like you get stack some flower pots, tubs, buckets, have the water run into the top one , to the next one down, run into the next one and out into the pond. Put lava rock (quick and cheap filter material in them)

mini_3199.jpg

maWuY3abZSVVoSePr8SxYuw.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you build it so it is in your pond you could just drill a hole in the bottom one and let it run into your pond. No plumbing needed, except the feed into the top

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, I'm so sorry to here about the flooding on your island and am glad your house didn't flood. I'm not very handy so I've ordered a shower filter, which should arrive next week. Addy is right, there are tons of examples on the net, quick, easy and cheap.....excellent filtration :)

Reaction score
Wow, I'm so sorry to here about the flooding on your island and am glad your house didn't flood. I'm not very handy so I've ordered a shower filter, which should arrive next week. Addy is right, there are tons of examples on the net, quick, easy and cheap.....excellent filtration :)

Where did you order it from?

Yes, I am not feeling up to building one either.

Luckily where we live is high, but some people really lost a lot.

Reaction score
And the rain has started again :( Two of my three ponds are over flowing. My large pond: I cleaned it yesterday and emptied it down to prevent any over flow. Hoping there is no run off into it today.

Ask a Question