An example of a "professional" service (tic)

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Found on a local advertising site, no names posted to protect the "professional".

Book now spring pond openings:
-Full draining and pressure washing of rocks
-Removing debris
-Inspecting and setting fish in salted therapeutic bath
-Check pump/skimmer for proper flow and performance
-Dividing or cutting plants
-Refill and treat water with beneficial bacteria
-Inspect underwater lights

The best time to perform a pond clean-out is in the early spring before your water garden completely awakens from its winter dormancy- ideally before water temperature reach 12 degrees. This prevents bacteria colonies from forming resulting in a “green phase”.

What sayest thou?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not all "Professionals" are created equal.
Of course, I really don't need to tell you that, do I?

Seriously, this is a major problem in the Water Feature Industry........ the uncomfortable large number of contractors that really do not know the science behind their trade. These are supposed to be the industry's go-to-guys for accurate information concerning any aspect of Water Features. Sadly, it too frequently is a case of the 'blind-leading-the-blind' with the contractor, in some instances, actually knowing less than the client. And the Water Feature Industry can not understand why the DIY movement has grown so quickly.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have two pond stores by me. One advertises the same thing. The other saying the opposite. That is why it was so hard for me to know what to do 12 years ago. I also had books that promoted total clean out. Talk about me being confused!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Called new pond syndrome every year. If you clean it that good. Unreal. poor pond critters.

If I did that all my fish would die on the refill, raising the ph of our acidic well water and keeping it up is a pita. Time and age of my pond is all that has made it reach a stable 7.6

Ask a Question