An example of wetlands filtration (bogs).

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The reason why I posted this particular articles over others is that it brings attention to the need for prefiltration even on a large scale. In this instance it is achieved with a settlement pond, typically the easiest type of prefiltration method to maintain.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - I noted that. The way I have been describing it to people is - don't ask your bog filter to handle things that you can SEE. Your bog should be dealing with the things you CANNOT see.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Over the past years Maryland, has been doing stream restoration in many of the degraded creeks feeding into the rivers around the Chesapeake Bay. The streams when done are usually a bunch of settlement ponds, divided by various size rocks and sand beds to help manage the pollution and silting in of the creeks created by storm water run off.

I find the article interesting as I have been in the marine construction business for years. It is good to see the more widespread employment of more natural pollution control techniques, that also create habitat for wildlife.

Ask a Question