An Observation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
He is super cute! I bet that when he comes around, he will become the best dog you ever had. Something about true rescue dogs that they aprreciate the life they have been given more than a pup who has never been through hard times. I see a life long friend in your future :)

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Sissy our Great Dane, Junior, passed away in June. We used to take him and our Shih Tzu for walks and people would stare. But they were the best of friends and when Junior passed our Peanut grieved just like we did. It was so sad.
This is a picture of Junior opening one of his Christmas gifts. Can you say spoiled??? :smile:
photo_13.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
been there I still miss my harley and hunter and keep there graves up and have it all fenced in and even made 2 wood dogs as there markers .It hurts when they pass because they become your children that you nurtured and spoiled .But you know they were loved 100%

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
CE he's cute and I hope you get to keep him and he starts to become friendly soon and not so scared. I guess like sissy said he could be lost and I guess you could check around to see if anyone is missing a pet. Sometimes very strange circumstances can end up getting a pet lost from their owners.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
[sup]J.W. Brings up a very good point. Could he have ended up there due to the recent storms along the midwest? [/sup]

[sup]My Step duaghter's dog was found a mile away, scraped up and alive after the Joplin twister last year. The home where he was living (my step-daughters cousins house) was flattened all the animals cats and dogs were blown away yet all survived and were found.[/sup]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
dogs are known to go at least 3 or more miles when they are scared ,thunder storms and even fire works scare the begeebers out of animals .I had a cow at my house after a storm and it had traveled over 2 miles away from the farm .The farmer from across the way picked it up until they could find the owner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
You're all absolutely correct. I forgot about the microchips. Actually, I think lots of animal shelters use them so that if people take a dog, and then try to dump it, they can get in trouble if the animal is located. It is the way to find the owners, and I will check with the vets office and the shelters to see if anyone has lost this dog. I will call the radio stations, too. I've been listening but only heard about a female lab that was missing. This pup is no more than 3 months old, possibly younger. I don't think it has ever had much if any human contact, but then I guess it would have run if it was totally wild. He is slowly trying to come around. For instance, with the garage door open, it only took him 3 minutes to come into the house tonight, whereas last night it was at least 15. Good thing the weather is warm! He has figured out to lay under the end table between my recliner and the couch. So, he wants to be close, but doesn't want to be touched ... yet. I have petted him, given him a bath (he's MUCH softer now, so likely had been raised on or near dirt area, as his body and skin was very much covered with dirt), and given him tiny pieces of lunchmeat or a piece of a treat. He takes the meat VERY gently, could have given him a pea and he would have taken it gently not touching me with his teeth.
Bottom line, I need to get it figured out before I get too attached. I would much prefer he find he real owner, but I'm pretty sure he didn't just wander here. Other neighbors have dogs, although several would have chased him away. The closest neighbor has a Jack Russell and I would have thought she would have played with him. My Boston thinks he best thing she ever found. LOL
OH, and I just carried him outside, told him to "go potty" along with the others. He actually pooped soon as I got him outside! Good boy! OK, sorry, probably TMI. :) That's when he got the little piece of a treat.

Reaction score
We have four dogs. Two of which were toss aways. We love them very much. Our oldest is 16 and she's still doing pretty good. Romps and hops through the house every day. I can't understand how some people can just dump an animal like that. Very cruel.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wishing you much luck in finding out if he's lost or found a new home w/ you. Hoping he gets to stay w/you tho cuz you will love him and take good care of him! He's a lucky pup!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Update. Just learned that a black and white boxer looking dog is also in the neighborhood the last 2 days, same time frame the pup showed up. So ... either they were both dumped (my best guess) and the dog tried to run after the car that dumped him, pup could not keep up hid in my barn) or the pup tried to follow the dog and ran out of steam, hid in my barn. I'll be doing some major checking today, and if no luck, will take them both to get checked for microchips on Sat. a.m. I may have 2 dogs adopted here! this pup will not be allowed to go with former owner if he is scared to death of them as much as me. If he has been abused, I'll take them to court to keep him before handing him over. It's awful now afraid he is, but maybe he would not be afraid with his rightful owners. I will keep you all posted!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow this is really getting involved eh CE? 2 more dogs now you have in your home! Maybe there is more? So do the 2 dogs get along and act like they know each other? Is the Boxer scared too? Shame on people if they are doing this ditching the dogs trick! I hope you can find the truth to all this and it works out best for the dogs, either to find the home they came from if the people weren't mean to them or to be able to be loved by you. Let us know when you find out more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, so I called the local radio stations to report the "found" dog and puppy. Then I called the shelter to see if anyone reported missing dog or puppy. The guy said he heard the black and white boxer on the radio, someone was missing it! So, I called back, they found the sheet, but the person did not leave a phone number. The boxer is no longer at the neighbor's house, so either he went home, or his owners found him. He was evidently spotted about 3 miles from where he was with my neighbors, just last week! So, this boxer is a wandering fool. Guess it's just coincidence they both showed up within 1.5 miles of each other same day. I'm still hoping someone will come forward. I was hoping the boxer was still around so I could have brought him here to see if the pup recognized him. But, the person looking for the boxer did not mention a pup, so probably they were not together, unless the pup started to tag along. I called another place called E.A.R.S. (Effingham Animal Rescue Sanctuary) and got answering machine. They never called me back, but I heard that they will help with the cost of neutering the pup if I get to keep him. He's becoming a challenge to me.
When I got home, he had gotten out of the pen (guess I forgot to latch the outside gate), but he was still around. That made me feel good that he felt comfortable enough to stay around! Again, my dogs coaxed him into the garage, and he almost came right into the house, just a slight hesitation tonight. Still laying next to my recliner, under the end table. It will be slow progress every day, but so far it's still progress.
Oh, and my brother in law said to name him "Yukon", since I have "Denali" and they are both models of vehicles (among other things) and if he is possible part Akita, that would work. :) So, that's what I will call him, if I keep him.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I think that's a great name and sounds like Yukon might have found his forever home. :razz:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
CE hope you don't get your hopes up too high w/ keeping the pup and then somebody shows up claiming it's theirs. Just keep that in mind so you don't get a broken heart. I'm sure it will prolly work out that you get to keep the little sweetheart but just don't want to see you get hurt!
And you've already named him! Nice name for him tho!

Ask a Question