Observation Deck for the Fish

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Any idea how to make an above water window/ observation area for the fish to come up & see through area to see the fish like this?

koi-fish-tower.jpg

Here is my Pond now.

pond 111.PNG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I remember talking about those quite awhile ago and the only downsides were the algae and the heat and maybe the oxygen in them if I recall right.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I looked into that a year or so ago. One really big problem was that the water inside will heat up more than your pond water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have my doubts that a goldfish would swim up into one of these towers on their own. But I don't know that for sure, just my opinion.

That photo reminds me of those ridiculously small aquariums that show a tank full of huge goldfish in them. Such fake advertising many times to people who don't know any better :cautious:

If you do end up getting one it would be interesting to see how it works for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Could you run an output line from a small pump to keep water moving inside the dome? That would help keep the temperature even and maybe slow down the algae growth a bit.

Reaction score
I love these. I'm sure there are many downsides and I don't think its something I would leave in my pond all the time for the reasons listed above, but imagine your friends oohing and ahing over this. How neat!

There's a lot of videos on you tube installing these and using them. Looks like people put food in them to introduce the fish to them. Some use like a 20 gall aquarium so really big fish swim in there.

Since my bottom is not really level, I'm am considering attaching something from the deck, maybe some stiff wire (?) and resting a bowl on that.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
An aquarium turn upside down will work. Putting food inside and letting it float up will attract the fish inside on there own. If still thinking about attempting this make sure you have a lot of support underneath. there is a lot of suction and it will need some good support to keep in in place. Placing plants inside the tank will produce small oxygen bubbles inside. Looks neat at first but it doesn't take long for the bubbles in the tank to start adding up and causing the container to be more buoyant. The major drawback is how quickly the container does heat up. If there is a way to make a flow of water move near the container it could help but beware that if left stagnant in the full sun this water gets warmer than you might expect.

Ask a Question