An Observation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ponders seem to love dogs... Most of you on this forum have pictures of your dogs either in a signature or as your avatar. I wonder why pond lovers and dog lovers are generally one in the same... Interesting.

On a side note about my dog, my brother watched him while we were out of town. My brother has a Chihuahua, a Shelty and a small mixed breed dog. He said both my Chi and his Chi insisted on sleeping under the covers, but when either one would move it would start a Chihuahua fight throughout the night. They were awakened to a ball of Chihuahua fury under the cover multiple times each night. It made me laugh, Chihuahua's have such attitudes LOL

Another observation, Marines love Chihuahuas. LOL I think it is because Chihuahuas are so scrappy. My husband is a retired Marine and loves our baby like a son. His brother is a Marine and has a Chihuahua, and almost every other retired Marine we have met has Chihuahuas. It is the cutest thing in the world to see a big tough Marine carrying a Chihuahua like a baby.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Very true as my mother raised chihuahua's so I have been around them most of my life .I have been trying to adopt another one so pee wee has someone his size to play with .But the adoption sights refuse me because king arthur is a pit bull .I keep telling them to come to my house and meet the king before you judge him .Pee wee beats him up and he could care less because he knows he has it made .He was a rescue and had been neglected and he doesn't want to screw up the good life .Funny when some one comes to the door pee wee holds his ground until he is sure and the king runs to hide .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sissy, not sure if I mentioned I also had a pit for 12 years. He was the most amazing dog. While he did not like other male dogs, he was a real baby when it came to everything else. He was not a guard dog in any sense of the word. My Chihuahua is much more aggressive then he ever was. It's a good thing Chihuahuas are in such a small frame, if they weren't they would be VERY SCARY dogs LOL. My little Leo gets bummed that no one takes hims seriously when he is being tough. He tries with all his might and puts his heart and soul into trying to scare people. Poor thing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep pee wee is the same .He is an applehead chihuahua and have been trying like heck to get another one .I owned an albino pit bull and her name was Harley and she passed away 4 years ago .She was something to contend with ,she had spunk and was bossy ,but I can say my wiemerwiener held his ground against her .He past away just about 2 months before I got pee wee and pee wee was born the day Hunter passed .I knew then it was meant to be .I dog sit also for a great dane and when I take all 3 for a walk people stop to look .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OMG, can you imagine ... a great dane, a pit bull, and a Chihuahua?! That would be quite a site!!!
Pecan, I think the reason people have dogs and ponds, is people who have ponds love life, and animals, and everything that goes with it. If you did a poll, you would find most have even more animals than dogs. I think dogs and cats are the norm, as they are all animals that fit in a house or yard. I'm looking to add a puppy to my life. After losing my other Boston last month, it just seems wrong to only have one dog (plus the neighborhood stray, who pretty much lives with me). Since I live in the country, with very little traffic, I would love to have a big dog, prefer German Shepherd. BUT, the girl that animal sits for me when I go on vacation was bit in the face when she was about 3 by a German Shepherd, so that is out, at least for now. Thinking of a mini Australian Shepherd. Kind of medium sized dog, high energy, great around animals. But, not sure I'm up for the brushing they would require. Decisions, decisions .... :) Will be a fun journey to figure out what I want and what I get. No hurry, will wait for the right animal.
In the meantime, we all love our animals, big and small, and because of that, we have the time and patience it takes to have a fish pond. Remember, we don't have puddles with a few fish, we have masterpieces with precious treasurers. :razz: :goldfish: :razz:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I love dogs too but right now we only have our 2 crazy cats and the fish. Lost our golden lab/ retriever prolly 15 yrs ago now to cancer. We decided not to get one again till we get old and tired of traveling or too old to move. Then we may get another one. We have always had a dog in our family and many other critters. I'll just have to enjoy everyone else's pups on the forum for now so keep the stories coming and don't forget the photo's!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How true, we love our babies. My little yorkie is 12 now, still doing fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, I think that's the other reason I'm leaning more toward a smaller breed, they tend to live longer lives. The large breeds have so many more health issues - heart, hips, liver, etc. At least mine did.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Very true smaller breeds have less health problems and live longer .My other chihuahua lived to be 17 years old .I always get my dogs fixed so that does not cause probelems and almost all my dogs were rescued dogs .Hip displasia is really bad in larger dogs and that comes mostly from over breeding them at puppy mills or greedy dog owners .A pet like a cat or dog always lowers your blood pressure .I could not live without that kind of love .Every animal has more love to give than you realize sometimes .To many people see a cute puppy and say I want and as soon as that puppy gets bigger and is more work they want to give it up .I guess puppies and kitties are like babies cute when there little but gosh they get bigger fast

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a theory that God makes puppies and kittens so cute so you don't kill them, because they are naughty!!! LOL

But once they grow bigger, they loose their baby cuteness a little but are usually very well behaved so they don't need the cuteness to protect them anymore.

It how they manage to survive. But for some reason, none of my babies have lost their cuteness. LOL They are the light in me and my husbands life. We are surrounded by love every second we are at home.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
feel the same here they have more love to give than we have to get .I sometimes think I am there world .I would have 15 chihuahua's if i could find them . What is so stupid also the shelters out here charge you 200 dollars to adopt and these are not puppies they are all over 4 years old i am looking at to adopt .I feel like that is a bit much all I want to do is give them a safe and happy home .I have a nice fenced in back yard for them .i also keep my whole back yard lit up at night for there safety and the king does not leave pee wee's side and if he barks or see's anything pee wee knows that is a warning to run for the house and safety .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The King is watching over his kingdom, and his subjects. Good boy, King Arthur! And, Pee Wee gets credit for listening to his king as well!
I totally believe that dogs and cats lessons a person's health issues. They take dogs to the nursing homes and there are story after story of older people being all withdrawn, not talking, not even looking at anyone, complete inside themselves, until a dog walks into the room. It's something that they can relate to, don't have to talk, just touch and look, and the understanding flows between them. Where my grandma was in a nursing home, they had resident cats that roamed around, allowed to go into rooms, people who were allergic were not assigned to that floor. My grandma always wanted to go visit that floor to see the cats.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, ladies, get this. I got home this evening with PondKid, he delivered some goldfish he was wanting to get rid of, and he wanted to see my pond. Heard my Boston barking like I've never heard before, very different "voice". Turns out there was a pup, maybe 2 months old, in one of my barns, scared to death! I have very few neighbors, and am 99% sure someone dumped him. He's quite cute, looks like maybe an Akita or Shepherd mix.
The poor guy has no idea what its like to be petted. It's so scared it doesn't even act like it enjoys it. Took us forever to get close enough to him to touch him. I finally coaxed him into the house so he's hiding out in here now. At least he doesn't retreat when I approach him, but he still isn't sure he likes to be petted.
Tell me, why do people dump puppies? It infuriates me to no end. And, if they never wanted them, why allow it to happen in the first place? This poor pup has had an awful life so far, or so it seems. If it can come around to being loved, he probably has a permanent home here. I'm sure going to give him my best shot.
Lost or dumped pup.JPGLost or dumped puppy.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They dump them because they are no longer the cute puppie they got and they find out how much it costs to take care of them or how much work is involved ,sad to say .Maybe you should put flyers up just in case he jumped out of someones truck or car also .Contact the animal shelter and police as most people looking for a lost pet will call them ,if it is truely a lost pet .He is cute can you tell if he has been fixed ,that will tell you a little also ,if lost or abandoned as most aren't fixed .If he is lost animal shelter can also scan him to see if he may have a tracking chip .I had a beagle show up here a couple of years ago and she had a tracking chip and animal shelter found her owners .

Ask a Question