Another Newbie Pond Build in the works

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
i had access to boulders as well i still dumped close to 30k, 2 k gets you a puddle with an air stone.. not really but a helix skimmer for instance in 700 bucks if i remember correctly

I think that's where our ponds diverge; I figure I put $4K combined with both versions of my pond--original and expansion, everything included but price of koi. Of course, I had all manual labor ($0 but gained more gray hair!). Largest cost was the second liner at $1200 delivered, then the stone (~$500), pumps (2 at $250 each). Of course I also had lumber costs but this was done before all the insane price hikes.

smiley-windy-Xsml.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am thinking out loud here but has anyone tired to build their bog out of pallets? I am talking about using pallets to form the walls with dirt around them. I want to keep all my used dirt in my backyard. What are your initial thoughts?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I am thinking out loud here but has anyone tired to build their bog out of pallets? I am talking about using pallets to form the walls with dirt around them. I want to keep all my used dirt in my backyard. What are your initial thoughts?
First thought is that would not be very sturdy, but I suppose if it was just a separation between a well packed dirt birm and the inside of your bog, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I would advise you to get a very thick underlayment though, as pallets can have nails, wood shard, and everything else under the sun sticking out of them.

Curious to see what others think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Could I just use them as forms then? I am trying to figure out in my head how to shape my big without having to dig twice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think that's where our ponds diverge; I figure I put $4K combined with both versions of my pond--original and expansion, everything included but price of koi. Of course, I had all manual labor ($0 but gained more gray hair!). Largest cost was the second liner at $1200 delivered, then the stone (~$500), pumps (2 at $250 each). Of course I also had lumber costs but this was done before all the insane price hikes.

View attachment 146377
I HAVE 6 LINERS
A HELIX SKIMMER
OVER 100 AQUABLOCKS THAT ALONE IS 5 GRAND
15 MAFIA BLOCKS
3 PUMPS
OVER 200 FEET OF FLEX PVC
6 GRAND ON A 6 TON DUMP TRAILER TO HAUL ALL MY FREE ROCK AND PAID FOR GRAVEL MAFIA BLOCKS ETC.
AND PROBABLY 6 RENTALS. i have probably 120 thousand ponds of boulders 30 ton gravel

MY SET UP IS PROBABLY 65 TO 70 FEET LONG AND 40 FEET WIDE. all the dyi in the world won't get this at 4 g but for 4 g yous looks very nice.
damn caps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
So I went outside and just put down some measurements and what I was originally thinking was to small lol. I have gone up in size again. I have attached a picture of what I have in my head right now for how I want to lay it out and still have maximum use of my yard. It will also look good out all of my windows. Please let me know what y'all think about this.

Attachments

• Pond.png
    Pond.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You didn't miss anything. I hadn't thought that far ahead yet. I would say a couple feet. High enough so I don't have to dig lol. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You didn't miss anything. I hadn't thought that far ahead yet. I would say a couple feet. High enough so I don't have to dig lol. Any suggestions?
it will depend on how 'high' you want your bog waterfall. If you have at least 6" above pond level, you'll be fine. Whatever liner you use, either make it a one piece - bog+pond-or if separates, have the bog liner hang into the water 12" and be 6" higher up the front bog wall so you deter wicking. I just used the dirt from my dig and bermed it all up. In my expansion phase, I made MY bog front wall 12" above the pond and used a one piece liner for everything, then stacked decorative stone in front to hide the liner aspect. Pics in my showcase, if interested; look for year 2019 expansion pics.

What's nice with using the dirt is you can easily make your bog any shape you want--you're not limited to 'box like' but most do something like that as it's easier.

smiley-tongue-on-icy-pole---Xsml.gif
smiley-sunny-hot.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Cool. Dirt berms will work fine at 2' or so, but you're going to need 5+ of ground space around a berm to make it look natural. You could reinforce with boulders throughout to make it look a little more realistic.

You could also use landscape wall blocks. I'd go for the 6" tall ones that weigh 50-70 lbs. General wisdom says don't use these higher than a foot or so to hold back a pond, but I think it would be fine in a bog since there's only a few inches of standing water and the rest will be 70% gravel / 30% water.

One side of my bog is about 18" above ground and I just used sandbags filled w/ native soil. Seems to be working fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From your drawing it appears your not planning on using the natural tepography/ "raised back yard " FOR YOUR DESIGN. this is unadvisable

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Cool. Dirt berms will work fine at 2' or so, but you're going to need 5+ of ground space around a berm to make it look natural. You could reinforce with boulders throughout to make it look a little more realistic.

You could also use landscape wall blocks. I'd go for the 6" tall ones that weigh 50-70 lbs. General wisdom says don't use these higher than a foot or so to hold back a pond, but I think it would be fine in a bog since there's only a few inches of standing water and the rest will be 70% gravel / 30% water.

One side of my bog is about 18" above ground and I just used sandbags filled w/ native soil. Seems to be working fine.
Thanks I have been looking around and think I may use rock and dirt for the bog. I like the look and then build a bigger waterfall on the North side.

Ask a Question