Hello, another UK newbie here...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! Just signed up after lurking for a while.
My pond is pathetically small compared to some I've seen on this site, but it's important to me (and the fishy inhabitants). It is 4ft x 4ft and approx 2ft deep, standing above ground. Commonly known as a patio pond. I've had it around 6 years, it has 4 goldfish (3 original plus a smaller "rescue fish"). In the past I relied on small, solar-powered filters/pumps, cheap but not working most of the time! now I've gone electric with a 2000 litre per hour pump, proper filters plus a simple homemade external filter. Now I'm doing things better, I'm really enjoying the pond more, and the fish are rewarding my efforts by growing a heck of a lot and looking very beautiful. I'm hoping to make a bog filter in the not too distant future. Hampered by lack of room and DIY skills!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1627832010301.gif
@LuckyDog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
damn! It's like another British Invasion!

jus' kiddin'; I'd throw a funky lil aniamted gif atcha but j.w's already done that, 'dog-gone-it'!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome LuckyDog! Your pond sounds fantastic. Yep, please post some pictures. You came to the right place for DIY bog filter help. Again, welcome!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

I have a 300 gallon old hot tub pond. Took a planter pot, (without drainage holes) put it on the side of the tub. Added pea grave and plants viola a bog! I drilled a hole in the bottom to fit in a small piece of hose for the water input, the water drains back into the pond from the top of the pot.

@mrsclem Has some nice posts about her planter bogs. They filter her ponds well.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
These were not upflow bogs , had a spray bar supplying water to the boxes which then flowed back to the pond. Cleared algae in a 10x10x5 pond in less than a week.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi! Just signed up after lurking for a while.
My pond is pathetically small compared to some I've seen on this site, but it's important to me (and the fishy inhabitants). It is 4ft x 4ft and approx 2ft deep, standing above ground. Commonly known as a patio pond. I've had it around 6 years, it has 4 goldfish (3 original plus a smaller "rescue fish"). In the past I relied on small, solar-powered filters/pumps, cheap but not working most of the time! now I've gone electric with a 2000 litre per hour pump, proper filters plus a simple homemade external filter. Now I'm doing things better, I'm really enjoying the pond more, and the fish are rewarding my efforts by growing a heck of a lot and looking very beautiful. I'm hoping to make a bog filter in the not too distant future. Hampered by lack of room and DIY skills!
Your first kudos is to keeping your fish load to a respectable number and secondly going with gold fish for a small pond. Size doesn't matter unless you try keeping 30 koi like myself and even that number is a few to many as each year they grow and grow some more and always end up with 6 koi a years from breeding. The bog build is easier then you may think when your ready just let us know and happy to help out.

Ask a Question