Any retaining wall ideas for waterfall??

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I like that...D&RW
Rock on the roll really helped...Nice build pics

charrold

Big Fish in a Little Pond
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
probably too late for you, but we put in a 30' natural fall this spring and had a couple of retaining walls to figure out.

I ran out and took these pictures for you to check out:

IMG_2617.jpg

Full view of the falls with both walls

IMG_2619.jpg

Close up of the lower falls. Basically I got 2 really big pieces of Gilla River granite (one at the top and one at the lower fall) and stood them upright and then filled in around with smaller stones. The effect worked out pretty good IMHO.

The sound can't be beat and the filtration/aeration effect for the gang at the bottom in the pond is excellent.

Anyway, like I said, probably too late, but if it helps...

charrold

Big Fish in a Little Pond
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Thanks. The space there is hard to gauge, but it 8' from foundation to fence and the hill drops 15' vertical in a 30' length, thus the walls/falls. Couldn't really contain the flow and make it work nice any other way. The bump out on the lower falls goes around the chimney from our pellet stove, otherwise it would just be a regular wall from side to side.

It's planted - they are just small still - we ordered from High Country Gardens, which I recommend, but they ship all seedlings, so we started in the hole, and then our Spring was a disaster in terms of growing anything (wetest June on record was missed by 1/8") and it snowed more in May than it did the whole winter. I also took in the Papyrus plants today - supposed to go into the 30's this week at night - which fill the upper pool behind the first waterfall and make that look more grown in. The tree at the top right is a Pear tree which I am going to try and wire shape into a Bonsai style. The Arrowhead in the lower pool did well initially, but I think is a lost cause so I am going to let it croak (it was 8$) and replace it with something more hearty.

I'll put some more pics up over the next next year when it fills in some more, and when there is snow on it too!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Some vaieties of Junipers make nice bansai plants. I'll take some photos of mine soon and post them. My yard is full of them.

Reaction score
Charrold, never to late.....i have been thinking this long and hard since this is a very key part of the whole picture. Waterfall is very important and I only get one chance at getting it right. I dont like to do things twice over. I have started to put the retaining wall in motion. I will send pics of the progress. You have a beautiful long falls wow! I have some land south of Pueblo in Mt. Blanca so I know how cold it ges there in Denver brrrrrrr! Hope my pond/waterfall comes out looking decent. Thanks for the idea for sure.

Ask a Question