Waterfall over timber retaining wall

Dave Parker

DieselDave
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
I would like to build a waterfall that uses an existing timber retaining wall. I thought I could just cut a section out of the two top timbers and put a waterfall spillway coming out. However my wife wants my assurance that i don't just cut an ugly hole in the wall.
has anyone done something like this? Ideas please.

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-12_9-46-53.png
    upload_2016-4-12_9-46-53.png
    180 bytes · Views: 252

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You would need to be able to hide the cut from the front .The liner will show also .How tall would the waterfall be because you also have to consider splash back and the toxins that could go into the pond from the timbers.your pic is just a red block

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you are dropping from the pond to another pond you are going to build .How will you hide the liner where it meets up to the landscape timbers on the sides .Only way I can think is to set cement landscape blocks up against them some how .Are those the creosote coated timbers ,that would be a big concern .Toxic poisons can leach from them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We did this I two separate spots in our yard, but we cut out the whole area of the retaining wall and added liner fronted by rocks.

Dave Parker

DieselDave
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
you are dropping from the pond to another pond you are going to build .How will you hide the liner where it meets up to the landscape timbers on the sides .Only way I can think is to set cement landscape blocks up against them some how .Are those the creosote coated timbers ,that would be a big concern .Toxic poisons can leach from them
They are not creosoted ties they are 6x6 green treated timbers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would protect the wood in order to prevent the chemical preservative from entering the pond.
Before 2004, wood was treated with chromated copper arsenate. After 2004, wood has been treated with copper quat and copper azole.
You do not want these chemicals in your pond.

Ask a Question