Bald cypress

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone tried growing bald cypress in containers and planting them in a shallow end of their pond or in a bog. I have a dozen bald cypresses that I have growing in plastic bottles and they are doing fine. I have done same with eastern cedars and just keep them trimmed to scale of my G scale railroad. I have also done same with Green Velvet Boxwoods and trimmed to look like trees. A few years back I tried Russian sage and they are doing just fine. They look like silver maples.
If the cypresses will flourish in the bottles and placed in the bog I plan to also trim then to scale of my garden railroad.
What do you think.
My water feature is in scale with my garden railroad. Small gold fish and minnows live there. Spring will see me introducing crayfish to the stream and pond.
John T
Omaha NE

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Would love to see pics of your set-up! It sounds lovely! I’m no gardener, but the Bald Cypress is our state tree here in Louisiana. It is a gorgeous tree! It, of course, grows in and around bodies of water, in swamps, etc. But I have no idea how it would behave in a “controlled” situation. The roots can be aggressive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Would love to see pics of your set-up! It sounds lovely! I’m no gardener, but the Bald Cypress is our state tree here in Louisiana. It is a gorgeous tree! It, of course, grows in and around bodies of water, in swamps, etc. But I have no idea how it would behave in a “controlled” situation. The roots can be aggressive.
agree with the Mother-of-All-turtles; best to make sure you contain those root and some pics would be cool!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would also love to see your set up! We visited a pond once that was built around a model rail - it was so fun to see the creative use of small plants and rocks to give the illusion of much larger landscape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would also love to see your set up! We visited a pond once that was built around a model rail - it was so fun to see the creative use of small plants and rocks to give the illusion of much larger landscape.
makes me think when you see the 'fish', they're akin to whales, in that setup!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That sounds really neat! Post some pictures!

Reaction score
Country
United States
i also live in louisiana,, on a lake totally covered in bald cypress trees...the roots would be very agressive.our son comes up from new orleans and always take small cypress trees back with him.the salt intrusion kills the cypresss....good luck on your pond

Ask a Question