Barrel Filter & my not so DIY guy

Reaction score
I would put a berm behind the pond and landscape it. The pipe could then be buried and the barrel hidden. I have a huge 275 gallon water tank which is set up exactly like yours. It becomes completely invisible when the leaves on the bush in front of it come out.

brc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I'm curious what actually happens if the pipe is allowed to sit on the ground? It's hard to picture that restricting flow.. unless the pipe is less than completely full, and you need the water to pick up speed inside it to give the waterfall effect your after?

Reaction score
in this setup ... having the pipe run from the barrel, down to the ground, and then back up to the falls... is just making the pump have to push the water farther and then fight a bit of gravity .... increasing the head pressure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
AngelaM- a pressurized filter is a sealed system vs gravity fed which has outflow above the pond level. I see you have a lid on your barrel but don't know how tight it is sealed. If sealed completely, you could bury the filter. My ponds are raised with gravity fed filters so my filters are visible. I would move it closer and go with the fence and plant theme.

Ah okay... I wish it was pressurized but the lid doesn’t have that good of a sea so it’s definitely gravity fed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Necessity is the mother of invention! I love the DIY spirit - you'll figure it out and be so proud of yourself and your husband once you do!

I’m already loving this filter! I haven’t seen my fish on the bottom in a very long time. This filter is working amazing! I can even see my 4” baby koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would put a berm behind the pond and landscape it. The pipe could then be buried and the barrel hidden. I have a huge 275 gallon water tank which is set up exactly like yours. It becomes completely invisible when the leaves on the bush in front of it come out.

This is what I’m thinking. Now I just need to figure out what bush will grow well under this tree so I can hide it. Hydrangeas would probably cover it well but they also lose their leaves and look like a bunch of sticks come spring time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm curious what actually happens if the pipe is allowed to sit on the ground? It's hard to picture that restricting flow.. unless the pipe is less than completely full, and you need the water to pick up speed inside it to give the waterfall effect your after?

If the pipe is on the ground it cuts the flow down quite a bit and makes for a pretty weak waterfall. Eventually I’ll buy a strong pump so that can be an option.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is my concern also. I’m not sure if I know the difference between pressurized and gravity fed. The pump in the skimmer box pumps the water into the bottom of the barrel. The barrel fills until it overflows into a hose that runs to the waterfall. So I’m definitely fighting gravity with that hose that runs to my falls. The hose has to stay straight, I cannot lay it on the ground. There isn’t enough pressure to pump water to the falls if the hose isn’t straight.
That is not entirely true...as long as the end of the pipe at the barrel is higher then the waterfall end the water will flow. On mine I have it going 90 degrees straight into ground and is buried about a foot...then on the waterfall side it comes straight up into the bottom of the reservoir. If it is gravity then it shouldn't matter what the pipe in between is doing. Basically your pump is only pushing the water into the barrel. Then it is essentially a waterfall back in the direction of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Instead of a drooping hose, use a solid PVC pipe. It will go directly to your pond without restriction. Hide it with bushes and support it on top of a mound of soil. Move the barrel as close as possible.

Good idea! I’m moving it this week and once I get it closer to the falls I don’t think I’ll have any sagging. If I do I’ll grab some pvc pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United States

With the pipe sitting on the ground an air bubble can form at the top, and get trapped in the pipe on the other side of the dip, blocking flow throught he pipe and making the barrel run over. I had one of these on a big pond years ago with a UV light in the return line that ALWAYS had an air bubble when we turned the pump back on. Straight no bubble.

Ask a Question