Building a DIY 55 gallon barrel filter...need input.

Reaction score
Hello all. This is a quick question.

I have a 55 gallon food grade barrel ready to go. I plan to use 2" PVC pipe for the inlet and outlet of the barrel.

I don't know what the name of the item I need is but it is the part that seals around the pipe as it enters the barrel.

It's two pcs. I think, made of plastic with rubber washer on either side. It allows me to seal the hole that the pipe goes through.

Could someone tell me what this item is so I can find a couple to buy? It has to work with 2" PVC pipe. Thanks!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the part your thinking of is a bulkhead! shower drains and uniseals work well also. you can get them at any Lowes, Home Depot, etc ...

Reaction score
Very cool. Thanks guys. I actually was looking at bulheads at a koi pond shop but they were threaded on the inside so I didn't think that was what I needed. Doesn't the PVC pipe run right through the bulkhead?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very cool. Thanks guys. I actually was looking at bulheads at a koi pond shop but they were threaded on the inside so I didn't think that was what I needed. Doesn't the PVC pipe run right through the bulkhead?

They make threaded ends that go to glue fitting ends. I find the screw type is easier to use if you ever need repairs. You can put fittings on each side of the bulk head, usually both sides are threaded. All way bio filters have threaded bulkheads

Reaction score
Okay cool. I found some at Home Depot but a koi pond warehouse near me has them even cheaper. Thanks!
/edit: I just discovered uni-seals. This is the way to go from what I can see. Gonna try and find a local store that sells them.

I have another question if someone doesn't mind.

I pretty much figured out everything I will need to do this but I'm not sure what i should use to connect the 1.5" pump outlet to the 2" PVC pipe that will run as the feed to my 55 gallon barrel filter. I spent quite a bit of time at Home depot but didn't see anything that made sense for this. Can someone tell me what I should use? The pump is a Danner 2000gph magnetic drive pump, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009YYURQ/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1
The outlet on top is the kind that you clamp a flex hose to. But I need it to connect to a 2" PVC pipe.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay I think i figured it all out on my own. Gonna stick with bulkheads and PVC pipe. Gonna use 1.5" flex from pump to a 1.5" barb/1.5" male then a 1.5" female to 1.5" pvc coupler. then insert the 1.5" PVC pipe into it and run it back to filter.
Then I will run a 2" PVC back to pond.

whooo now I can go to bed.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
congrats! I was going to suggest getting the reducer go from 2 inch to 1.5 inch with a reducing coupler

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm not sure how you plan on the water flowing back to the pond but I learn that if you use pipe for the outlet, you will need that pipe to be about twice as big as the inlet pipe or the water can overflow. Or have more than one outlet pipe :).

Reaction score
I used 1.5" pipe from pump to filter and 2" pipe from filter back to pond. I also have a 1" pipe branching off the 1.5" intake pipe that feeds my fountain. It has a ball valve installed so I can shut that line off when needed. Once my pond was clean I opened it up and the water fall looks great now.

It took about three days for the new filter to totally clean up my pond and my expectations were exceeded by far.

This was the best update I've done to date for my pond. It's just unreal how well this filter works and how crazy easy it is to clean the filter when needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I was going to suggest going bigger than 2" outlet... but if it's working, than great!!

Reaction score
Yeah the 2" pipe is perfect.

Attachments

• WP_20140518_11_20_00_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140518_11_20_00_Pro.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 591
  • WP_20140518_11_23_00_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140518_11_23_00_Pro.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 572
  • WP_20140525_20_00_06_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140525_20_00_06_Pro.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 639

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
There's a specific brand of bulkhead made for curved surfaces so it won't leak. Don't remember the name anymore. But they have a website. You need to buy this brand. Anyone remember? Begins with M or V?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There's a specific brand of bulkhead made for curved surfaces so it won't leak. Don't remember the name anymore. But they have a website. You need to buy this brand. Anyone remember? Begins with M or V?
Uniseals will work on a curved surface

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
any uniseal, bulkhead, or shower drain will work on a barrel.... just need a heatgun or even a hairdryer that tends to run hot. heat the barrel before assembly so the area can be flattened.
bulkheads are cheaper if you go to the electrical section instead of plumbing at LOWES, HOME DEPOT, etc...

Ask a Question