Best plant for a bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hey guys, I've got a yellow flag iris in my bog but it hasn't spread at all. Can't find any information as to whether or not that's normal.

Anyways, I'm wondering what the best bog plant would be for my zone (6a)? I saw someone on here say that iris isn't the best bog plant. Something even edible mayhaps? Watercress is looking pretty nice! Let me know.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have yellow flag, it took a bit to start spreading, a few years. The water willow, mint, obedient plant, blue forgetmenot, lirope, marsh betony, all do well in a bog and have a lot of roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Marsh Marigold has gone crazy in both my pond and bog. It comes back bigger and better every year. It has also popped up new plants on the opposite side of both the pond and bog.
I'm in zone 6b.

I have 3 different iris which have all done well and have also bloomed.

I always add parrots feather at my spillway. It won't survive the winter though, it's tropical.

Creeping Jenny comes back every year in the bog and around the edges of the pond. It's quite hardy.

I add fiber optic plants every year. I like the way they look, but they are also tropical.

The same goes for Papyrus and Umbrella plants, also tropical.

I also have miniature cat tails in the bog. They are hardy and come back every year.

I have hosta in the bog too.

And a couple of grasses too. I have no idea what they are, but they are also hardy.

I think you can grow just about anything in the bog.

If you have enough sun, vegetables can be grown in the bog.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have parrots feather that comes back every year, by this time I need to yank the excess. It freezes and comes back just fine.
Forgot about creeping jenny, does great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have parrots feather that comes back every year, by this time I need to yank the excess. It freezes and comes back just fine.
Forgot about creeping jenny, does great.
Oh, Parrot's feather always dies off here in 6b. Maybe there are different types that are more tolerant.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have 4 different varieties, even red stem that is supposed to not do well. It has come back for years now. All of the parrots feather has roots in dirt. Just when I first put it in. The rest floats out.

Got some neat tiny leafed parrots feather in a shallow stream pond, it comes back also. I know that pond ices up. No flow and no fish.

Maybe your 6b is colder than ours. We have had hard freezes on the ponds and it still comes back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have 4 different varieties, even red stem that is supposed to not do well. It has come back for years now. All of the parrots feather has roots in dirt. Just when I first put it in. The rest floats out.

Got some neat tiny leafed parrots feather in a shallow stream pond, it comes back also. I know that pond ices up. No flow and no fish.

Maybe your 6b is colder than ours. We have had hard freezes on the ponds and it still comes back.
Parrot's Feather
Maybe I should plant it in the ground around the pond. I usually have it in the bog gravel and also stick it in-between some rocks around the pond.

I've noticed Creeping Jenny has a hard time surviving if it's not rooted in soil.

Maybe it's the same for Parrot's Feather.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe I should plant it in the ground around the pond
The pots mine started in are in the pond, just small ex plant pots with kitty litter. Not out in the earth. The litter is maybe 2-4 inches below the water line, depending on which pond.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I don’t know why, but parrots feather is looking kind of pathetic and slow growing this year. Last year it was trying to take over my pond, weird how some years certain plants go crazy. This year it is the creeping Jenny and variegated water celery growing like wildfire.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
but parrots feather is looking kind of pathetic and slow growing this year.
Mine is taking over, same as last year. Actually it seems everything is taking over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy was kind enough to share some of her yellow flag iris with me last year. It's now over 6 feet tall! I didn't realize it would grow that large and it's obviously thriving and very impressive. Mine is in a pot in the pond. Thanks Addy.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine in the bog needs a chop and control job, prob this fall. I went to do it this spring but the bog was still frozen then never got back to that job. It is just on the back edge of the bog, not really taking over but I control the spread a bit. Love the flowers it bloomed great this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don’t know why, but parrots feather is looking kind of pathetic and slow growing this year. Last year it was trying to take over my pond, weird how some years certain plants go crazy. This year it is the creeping Jenny and variegated water celery growing like wildfire.
Same here. Red stem parrots feather, & I normally have to beat it into submission on a regular basis, but this year I'm begging it to grow. Same for my water celery, although *that* particular problem came from a pesty deer that kept visiting & eating it down to nothing. It's always something, isn't it?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Two of my ponds have disappeared, today I am doing a plant purge, must or they will overflow and the temp outside is beautiful. 44f this am. Parrots feather, water willow, water mint, trim back excess lily leaves, in the small ponds.

Need to purge the bog also. OW the water redirects it self.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Two of my ponds have disappeared, today I am doing a plant purge, must or they will overflow and the temp outside is beautiful. 44f this am. Parrots feather, water willow, water mint, trim back excess lily leaves, in the small ponds.

Need to purge the bog also. OW the water redirects it self.
wouldn't it be quicker if you just started up the kubota, closed your eyes, and put her in gear for one pass????:cool:

Ask a Question