Biological Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to install a biological filter pond but the spot is not directly under redwood trees but pretty close. There will be some redwood needles falling into the biological pond. Since this is a second home for us and only up every 2 weeks, will the needles be an issue? The Tannic acid in the trees will turn the water brown in the pond if not covered. I do have a net over the pond but remove it when we are there. If I cover the biological pond with a net, will it "clean" as normal? the other option would be to do mechanical filtration.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond is existing, i want to add a bog filter, but the issue are redwood trees. Since the needles dropping into pond effects the water clarity , will needles in the bog effect it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The pond is existing, i want to add a bog filter, but the issue are redwood trees. Since the needles dropping into pond effects the water clarity , will needles in the bog effect it?

I would not send needles into a bog if I could help it at all. Some sort of mechanical filtration ahead of the output to the bog would be my choice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I put a net over the bog filter as I have over the pond, would that work? Other than that, would have to do some kind of "mechanical" filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
maybe use something with very small holes like mosquito netting/screen on a frame, tilted/angled so the needles shed automatically?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I put a net over the bog filter as I have over the pond, would that work? Other than that, would have to do some kind of "mechanical" filtration.

I guess I should back up. What kind of bog are we talking about (upflow / downflow / neither) and how is water getting into and out of it?

Doesn't matter too much if needles fall onto the top of your bog, though a net over it is a good idea. I'd be more concerned about sending needles through your pump into the bottom of an upflow bog.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The water would pumped 4' uphill to the bog and the water would flow via a waterfall back into the pond. The pond has a net over it so no needles would go through pump into bog. The problem is needles falling down into bog.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The tannic acid in the needles will turn the water brown. Due to rural location, there are no fish. The local wild animals would have a feast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Got it. I'd probably net the bog if it's not too much work. If the water level goes over the gravel in your bog, it will sweep the needles down into the pond. And if they sit long enough on the surface of the bog and get rained on, I guess they would bleed their tannins into the water below.

I'd net the bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Without fish in the pond, your bog will struggle. The nutrients that the fish provide is what helps your plants grow. Fish, water, plants - the Holy Trinity of an eco pond. (Well, rocks, but that ruins the trinity!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If i am not mistaken redwoods have needles but they are not like a pine needle redwoods i believe loose the stalks that have the needles still attached . it's not until they are really dried out does the needles separate. so it's kind of like a leaf i would look at the helix skimmer and there 24" basket strainer. it can hold an absolute ton of leaves and " needles" if your set up is done right and your skimmer is inline and works and draws well it should do the job or maybe an intake bay

Last edited:

Ask a Question