Bloomers!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pickerel is a nice plant but mine spread like crazy and I ripped it out last year. I have one tiny piece that apparently survived.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine were too attractive to aphids and no matter how much water I blasted on them they would always come right back so I got rid of mine also. Man those suckers are hard to get out of a pot when they've been in for years
surprised4.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put some in end of last summer, it is the only plant that did not make it over winter in my bog.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
j.w said:
Mine were too attractive to aphids and no matter how much water I blasted on them they would always come right back so I got rid of mine also. Man those suckers are hard to get out of a pot when they've been in for years
surprised4.gif

I just threw mine in the creek and they weren't potted so they were rather difficult to rip out and that is why they spread b/c they were not contained.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yes, some hardies are strong growing and quickly outgrow an ornamental pond, causing far more trouble than the original price...

A vigorous large hardy waterlily will quickly dome up with foliage bulging out of the pond, making it easy for infestations of aphids and grazing bugs to jump aboard, then, foliage damaging fungus like cercospora gets the opportunity to take off

It's kinda nice to know when choosing a waterlily, that it is suitable for the pond size and position, there are soooo many to choose between

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Attachments

• nymphaea_star_of_siam.jpg
    nymphaea_star_of_siam.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 246

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just went outside and found another lily getting ready to pop open from another plant .I guess I will have to be patient and see what color this one is

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
for sure my first one started out pink and peach color after 2 days it was peach and white and after 3 more days it was mostly white and then turned yellowish white .It only would open for 2 or 3 hours in the middle of the day .Now it is just a bulb but does not open anymore .I'm not sure if thats normal or not .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
for sure my first one started out pink and peach color after 2 days it was peach and white and after 3 more days it was mostly white and then turned yellowish white .It only would open for 2 or 3 hours in the middle of the day .Now it is just a bulb but does not open anymore .I'm not sure if thats normal or not .

When it is done blooming, sissy, it looks like a bud that will still open but sinks below the water, the bloom stalk gets slightly twisted. I cut mine off, the bud will slowly rot and fall apart if you don't

Ask a Question