Blooms around the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn’t know the iPhone camera had the ability to change depth of field. It looks like the top few show a large focus area and some of the isolated plant shots have a narrow depth with a blurred background. I have an entry level Nikon D5000 with the original starter kit lens. I’m thinking of up grading to a better body and lens .
It's not so much the camera as it is the glass that rob is using to get the great shots though it certainly doesn't hurt one bit the 1dx is cannons flag ship. Up close and personal the 5000 is not a bad camera it doesn't focus or shutter speed is not as fast plus several other bells and whistles. But a great lens that nikon has come out with recently is a 200 to 500 5.6 it is tack sharp and it \truly makes us with expensive glass wonder why !!! I don't want to step on this thread but if you go here https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/nature-wildlife-thread.13318/page-84#post-385043 those pics of the duckling were all taken with that lens and nikons best

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I didn’t know the iPhone camera had the ability to change depth of field. It looks like the top few show a large focus area and some of the isolated plant shots have a narrow depth with a blurred background. I have an entry level Nikon D5000 with the original starter kit lens. I’m thinking of up grading to a better body and lens .
Like Lisa said the iPhone has what is called portrait mode and it gives the depth of field look. As far as cameras, I have few friends that love the D500 and the 200-500mm combo for nature and wildlife. Like already said, it is the glass that is the most important. You definitely do not need what I use to get the shots. I would look seriously at Sony right now too, they have some goof stuff. Keep in mind with lenses, they hold their value at time of resale on the higher end gear. Do not be afraid to buy used lenses either if you know from where and the condition.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
It's not so much the camera as it is the glass that rob is using to get the great shots
I read that putting a better lens on an entry level camera like mine would not allow you to maximize the lens capability due to the slower sensor in the camera.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I read that putting a better lens on an entry level camera like mine would not allow you to maximize the lens capability due to the slower sensor in the camera.
you are 100% correct but this lens I mentioned is not pro glass it is kinda a hybrid it is in between you can spend twice as much for a 70- 200 2.8 full frame and it will run you around I believe today about 2,700 the lens I mentioned is among the least expensive nikon makes which is astounding at 1,246.95 at bnh. do your own research and look at the reviews . will you be able to shoot a sparrow in flight up close and personal probably not the best cameras have a hard time with that but could you get a white egret or blue heron in flight yes. Take my word for it in good light it is the poor mans 600 mm f4 that sells for over 10,000. and if I put those same picture from both lens up you would not be able to tell that one photo was 10 times the cost

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
you are 100% correct but this lens I mentioned is not pro glass it is kinda a hybrid it is in between you can spend twice as much for a 70- 200 2.8 full frame and it will run you around I believe today about 2,700 the lens I mentioned is among the least expensive nikon makes which is astounding at 1,246.95 at bnh. do your own research and look at the reviews . will you be able to shoot a sparrow in flight up close and personal probably not the best cameras have a hard time with that but could you get a white egret or blue heron in flight yes. Take my word for it in good light it is the poor mans 600 mm f4 that sells for over 10,000. and if I put those same picture from both lens up you would not be able to tell that one photo was 10 times the cost
Thanks for the info . I will look into the lens you mentioned.

Ask a Question