Bog - "backwash" function

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow. I knew your bog was deeper than most, but thes some deep peagravel, Ha. Makes me feel better. My bog is smaller, I need to measure to get a better estimate, but I was thinking 3-4 tons for mine. I'm just now finishing dirt work, about to order my liner and go look at rock tomorrow.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is around 2.5-3 feet deep. I was digging the pond, used the pond dirt to build a berm for the down hill side of the pond/bog. After running the tractor over the mound for quite a bit to compact the dirt. I started digging out the bog, got carried away, so rather than refilling I just bought a lot of pea gravel. It works great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b border area
Country
United States
You don't want to drain your bog in the winter. The plants will dry out and die. Just let it freeze and watch them come back in the spring!

This was my initial thought, but I have seen a lot about draining/disconnecting for winter. Though maybe they were only using tender/tropicals like elephant ears or caladiums or cannas? I do plan on having a few of those in the bog but I would lift them for garage winter storage like I do everywhere else in my gardens, so no concern for them freezing.

After the tropical storm we had Friday, I took advantage of the cooler weather and cut down the dwarf evergreen that was impeding my project. Now that it's gone, I have found an electrical panel! Though it doesn't have power, I have no idea as to whether the electrical wasn't ran or if it just wasn't connect in the house. So add that to my list of things to sort before I get the bog set up, as the panel is right next to where I am planning on sitting the bog and the conduit would run a straighter path if it goes under the proposed bog site. I would LOVE to have the panel up and running, so I canmove the pressure filter and get rid of the jury-rigged half-buried extension cord that currently powers the pond. The joys of owning a previously-owned home LOL!

View from my deck from earlier this year, before the tragic loss of most of my fish
200701-Start-Point-Deck-View.jpg

What we look like as of Friday night from my deck-
200712-Deck-View.jpg

And my electrical surprise! The covered box has a 4 outlet plate installed. I will add a 2 plug plate to the empty one, unless the electrician will just make me a 6 plug box- not sure of the logistics for the circuit panel and such. I don't mess with electricity myself! Good thing we already need one out to run the power for a large air compressor in the garage.
The ribbed hose is my extra circulation pump to get any debris/gunk to the lower end of the pond while I was doing a deep clean and I had been too lazy to get it back out. And now that I will be using it for the bog, I have just left it circulating. The thin black cord is hollow and seems to run under my pond. I haven't see the other end of it under the Acer, but maybe it's actually buried? Who knows.
200712-Electrical.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The electrical box to the left doesn't have any wires in it. What about the one on the right? The cover is closed, so I can't tell if it has wires.

You are lucky that someone used conduit as verses just using direct burial cable. This saves you a whole lot of work! Conduit is better protection for the wire and best of all allows you to pull whatever wires you need to that location.

Your Electrician needs to find the other end of those conduits on the house side. He/she can then send a snake (fish tape) through the conduit and pull in the proper amount and size wire needed for your project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b border area
Country
United States
The electrical box to the left doesn't have any wires in it. What about the one on the right? The cover is closed, so I can't tell if it has wires.

You are lucky that someone used conduit as verses just using direct burial cable. This saves you a whole lot of work! Conduit is better protection for the wire and best of all allows you to pull whatever wires you need to that location.

Your Electrician needs to find the other end of those conduits on the house side. He/she can then send a snake (fish tape) through the conduit and pull in the proper amount and size wire needed for your project.

The covered one has outlets, so I assume it has been wired(because why else would you put in the plug plate if it isn't). But the multimeter doesn't read, so it isn't connected to the house. Several other things were half done on the house when we bought it, so it's not surprising.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The covered one has outlets, so I assume it has been wired(because why else would you put in the plug plate if it isn't). But the multimeter doesn't read, so it isn't connected to the house. Several other things were half done on the house when we bought it, so it's not surprising.
It very well could be not connected in the house.

It could also be controlled by a switch somewhere or maybe the circuit breaker feeding it has tripped or has been turned off.

If there isn't a GFCI outlet in that box on the right, there may be a GFCI circuit breaker feeding it which may be tripped. But, however it's wired, it should be done correctly with GFCI protection, whether it be a GFCI circuit breaker or a GFCI outlet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b border area
Country
United States
It very well could be not connected in the house.

It could also be controlled by a switch somewhere or maybe the circuit breaker feeding it has tripped or has been turned off.

If there isn't a GFCI outlet in that box on the right, there may be a GFCI circuit breaker feeding it which may be tripped. But, however it's wired, it should be done correctly with GFCI protection, whether it be a GFCI circuit breaker or a GFCI outlet.

Yep, though I have checked all the circuits and all switches are accounted for(even the dumb ones in the shed), so it's something beyond basic help desk advice of "turn it off and turn it back on again." Which is why I am not the one who will be doing it but a licensed professional.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Good idea! may want to check ruling on having so close the the ground. As far as draining everything, most people drain any pipes that are above ground and exposed for winter as they could freeze and burst but leave the water in the bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
preform/stock tank,
Your bog is not going to be that large i would sub divide the bog with a layer or plastic or what ever and if the bog starts to clog i'd clean out half and mix sides together new with the old.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b border area
Country
United States
Good idea! may want to check ruling on having so close the the ground. As far as draining everything, most people drain any pipes that are above ground and exposed for winter as they could freeze and burst but leave the water in the bog.

It's also super close to the edge of the pond, so location requirements were already in my mind. I just can't figure out why they would go to the trouble of setting it up but not finishing it!
Regarding the inlet pipe, I am thinking I would only have a maximum of two feet out of the water, ideally less. I am wanting the edge of the tub as close to the pond as possible so that the return can be a spillway.

Your bog is not going to be that large i would sub divide the bog with a layer or plastic or what ever and if the bog starts to clog i'd clean out half and mix sides together new with the old.

Yeah, see, that doesn't lower maintenance time/effort. That increases it a lot. It would also disturb the plants causing more time on my end with resettling them. Whereas an elevated manifold with what would essentially be a false bottom with a ball valve to drain would be a 5 minute trick. I know all living things have maintenance, but the whole point here is to reduce.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do not have a set up that small where i could do a rest with minimal effort. which is where i was pointing

Ask a Question