Bog build

Reaction score
Spit, that's a good idea.

The water test is fine, but the real test comes under pressure.

And that got me to thinking and I went back and checked your pictures...you really want the clamp to be over the liner enough so at least a tiny bit is showing on the other side. Meaning 100% of the band is over liner. I couldn't tell from your picture, but it didn't look that way. It does take a bit of tugging and adult language.

Reaction score
I always over do my seals, a little black goop helps seal beautifully, in addition to the way you did it above.
A little bit of sealant IS a good idea. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Spit, that's a good idea.

The water test is fine, but the real test comes under pressure.

And that got me to thinking and I went back and checked your pictures...you really want the clamp to be over the liner enough so at least a tiny bit is showing on the other side. Meaning 100% of the band is over liner. I couldn't tell from your picture, but it didn't look that way. It does take a bit of tugging and adult language.
OK. I didn't put the clamp on far enough. I will try to put it on further and see how it works.
Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
I get that virtually all people who don't do this kind of stuff a lot think adding "extra" sealant is a good idea and I have no hope of ever changing anyone's mind...but it hurts more than helps.

The EPDM is a perfect gasket material. When pressed against a smooth solid surface like ABS or PVC you get a perfect long lasting seal. Anything else gets in the way. When I repair other peoples' system the first step is removing all the different "sealers" which normally renders the parts unusable and increases the repair cost. Other than that, sealer applied after the clamp is applied does not harm so add as much and any kind you like. Adding the sealer between the EPDM and pipe before the clamp...good luck. It will still probably be OK for a long time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree waterbug smooth liner good clamp good seal, but, always a but........lol When under 2800 lbs of pea gravel I add the roofing goop on the inside of the liner where the penetration is and on the outside around the edge for extra protection. Do not want to dig that sucker up for a leak

Reaction score
The question is did the goop help anything? Helped you sleep better, so I guess it does help.

A hose clamp has 2 states, working and busted. 3 or 4 feet of water is a lot of pressure and if a clamp fails the water pressure won't have any trouble pushing the goop right out of the way. But like I said...don't expect to convince anyone. Goop away.

Ask a Question