Bog build on a hillside. Need ideas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
So I uploaded a side look of the pond. The bog is going to be next to the pond but that side slowly declines down a hill. How do I raise the back side of the bog so that the water is trickling to the pond and not down the hill?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 244
Reaction score
You are going to have to elevate the bog area somehow, or else find a type of water that runs up hill, although that might be even harder to come by then heavy water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can use cinder block and if its very steep or you go higher than about 2 blocks you should reinforce them with rebar and concrete.
Mark the shape of the bog, then dig down where needed so the base of the parameter is level all the way around. Then put down a 4" gravel base and then your block, putting rebar through the voids in the block and filling with concrete.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You can use cinder block and if its very steep or you go higher than about 2 blocks you should reinforce them with rebar and concrete.
Mark the shape of the bog, then dig down where needed so the base of the parameter is level all the way around. Then put down a 4" gravel base and then your block, putting rebar through the voids in the block and filling with concrete.

mm interesting. gonna take some work I guess. thank you. its better than what I was thinking to do which is use bricks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond and bog are on a 25% slope more or less, I had to dig down the up slope side of the hill, and use a dirt berm, around 8 feet tall, to build up the lower slope side. Take some of your extraction dirt, make a dirt berm to create the lower edge, plant it. Mine looks like it has always been there. It is so steep it is hard to walk up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If you dig your bog deep enough you should have enough dirt to create a higher berm. Then fill bog with matrix boxes, cobble stone, then gravel.

The bog in the picture is about 6' deep and was a hill. But adding the dirt from the hole made it steeper.

Attachments

• KIMG0072.jpg
    KIMG0072.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 247
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I was planning on using a liner for the bog... any advice there? I dont want to leave it open cause I fear losing water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was planning on using a liner for the bog... any advice there? I dont want to leave it open cause I fear losing water.

I used one huge liner for the bog and pond, for sure line it ow you will lose a lot of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Line it just like you would a pond. Make sure you lap it over the pond liner wherever you have it running into it. Any plumbing can just go over the side of the bog and can be easily hidden.

Ask a Question