Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Locally, pea gravel about pea size, at a landscaping center that has lots of different rocks from small to over a ton, only charges $55 a cubic yard, you haul.

My water has stayed crystal clear (when it's not frozen and covered with snow) for over 3 years now. My bog is about 4x5 feet and 16" deep. Although I have buried and slotted pipes, I wanted a bit of a stream through the bog and took the cap off one of the cleanout risers. For most of the 3 years, the pond water mostly flows over the top and the bog is so thick with plants that you can't see in or through it. My pond area is about 180 ft. sq. I do have a 35' long stream that also has plants along the edges. I've never had an algae problem since I put in the small bog. Before, you couldn't see an inch into the pea soup. I have a modest fish load, likely 15 or 20 goldfish ranging from 4-10".

Yes, I broke just about every "rule", but in my case, it has worked just fine. I should mention, all my plants around the bog, stream and pond are natives that I've pretty much let go wild.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is a clean out pipe needed in my bog? I was thinking of just leaving the end of the pvc pipe open with a mesh cover on the end to let the water flow out of there

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Is a clean out pipe needed in my bog? I was thinking of just leaving the end of the pvc pipe open with a mesh cover on the end to let the water flow out of there

It's not required but I would recommend it. If you don't cap the end you won't get much flow from the bottom of the bog which is important for the roots of the plants. I unscrew mine once a week or so when I noticed slower flow from my waterfall and let it clear all the mud and debris.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did not put one in, have not missed it. 9 years later the pipes are still doing well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not sure what the advantage would be to leaving the end open an apply mesh. at first you will have most of the water flowing out the end but it will clog eventually. And in the first few months your flow will be off balance and not feeding the bog evenly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I left the mesh off. It seems like the debris is getting collected in the corner so its easy to remove

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I missed something oh well not the first time

Reaction score
Country
United States
To create a small bog up-filter area, would a line of large rocks with waterfall foam between them be sufficient to hold back the gravel and water pressure from the pump? The ones I've seen have the liner over the top of bricks or some other method or raising the water level between the pond and bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
To create a small bog up-filter area, would a line of large rocks with waterfall foam between them be sufficient to hold back the gravel and water pressure from the pump? The ones I've seen have the liner over the top of bricks or some other method or raising the water level between the pond and bog.
I would think that if the rock wall was made with large enough rocks, it would be fine. That's what I'm currently doing. I stacked 3 layers of large rocks with a soil berm against them. As I'm building the rock wall, I'm jamming soil in between them as a kind of mortar to add a bit of stability. My liner will drape over the rocks, then I'll hide the liner by folding up the excess and topping with a final layer of flat rocks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would think that if the rock wall was made with large enough rocks, it would be fine. That's what I'm currently doing. I stacked 3 layers of large rocks with a soil berm against them. As I'm building the rock wall, I'm jamming soil in between them as a kind of mortar to add a bit of stability. My liner will drape over the rocks, then I'll hide the liner by folding up the excess and topping with a final layer of flat rocks.

I'm thinking of doing the opposite almost. I want to put the big rocks on top of the liner and then put foam/smaller rocks in the cracks to "seal" it off from the rest of the pond. I'm worried the water being pumped in to the bottom of the bog will find an easy way out of the rocks and not work its way up through the gravel before falling over a waterfall spillway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm thinking of doing the opposite almost. I want to put the big rocks on top of the liner and then put foam/smaller rocks in the cracks to "seal" it off from the rest of the pond. I'm worried the water being pumped in to the bottom of the bog will find an easy way out of the rocks and not work its way up through the gravel before falling over a waterfall spillway.
If I understanding you correctly, you want to lay the liner, then build the rock walls in top of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I think the water will find a way through. Best to run the liner up and over then add rocks on top for looks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you do it your way, you will have to run your liner up on the outside of the rocks. You will need another row of rocks to support and hide the liner. You can't just sit the rocks on a flat liner and expect the rocks to hold back the water. Even if you caulk the heck out of it, that certainly will not work. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.
Here's mine in progress...

20200421_184047.jpg

Ask a Question