Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks guys for very helpful responses! I do plan to run manifold under the deck as well :).

I will go ahead and start a pond building thread soon. I've been working on it for about three months now, so I have plenty of pictures. I've had to build a huge retaining wall as a sort of "pre-work" before I could even get started with the pond/bog. That has taken me about six months, so hopefully pond/bog work can really start seeing some progress here soon.

I also know about next to nothing when it comes to plants, so I'll definitely tap into your guy's vast bog plant knowledge as I get further down the road!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I am getting ready to soon construct my own, very small bog, and was wondering if in such a small space ( like 18 x 24 inches) I would need to do the hole cut in the pipes method, or If I could just have one main outlet. would this even work?

Also, would just 8 inches or so in depth be okay, or should I go into the ground a bit and do like 12 inches?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would have the buried pipe with slits cut in it, spread out the water flow, I would also try to get it to 12 inches, more filtering.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
agreed with addy. Pvc is easy to cut even if all you have is a hand saw , hack saw , they even have small shears that can cut the pvc . The one opening at then end could work on a deep bog that was small. Or you can drill holes in the pi p e. Too many is far less of an issue as is not enough.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I would have the buried pipe with slits cut in it, spread out the water flow, I would also try to get it to 12 inches, more filtering.
sinc I will be diggin into the ground anyway to get the 12 inches, I will just go with 14 or 16 :)

and I can do the slits, just didn't know how much it would help.

Thanks for the info!

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
agreed with addy. Pvc is easy to cut even if all you have is a hand saw , hack saw , they even have small shears that can cut the pvc . The one opening at then end could work on a deep bog that was small. Or you can drill holes in the pi p e. Too many is far less of an issue as is not enough.
I have decided just to go with the slits, I have basically every saw you could think of available to me so it shouldn't be too much work :)

Would a bandsaw work best for this, that's what I was thinking, or would just a chop saw be best? ( I also have table saw and a couple of others, but they just don't make sense )

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OK i have been in the trades my hole life never heard of a saw jaw......

Chop saws are a safe way to do it. Most have a stop where it will only allow the saw to cut so deep into the stock. But regardless of what tool you use when cutting pvc you need to wear safety glasses. And you should use the finest blade you can get your hands on. A standard carbide blade will splinter your cuts. Though on a chop aaw if you cut slowly you should be fine.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
OK i have been in the trades my hole life never heard of a saw jaw......

Chop saws are a safe way to do it. Most have a stop where it will only allow the saw to cut so deep into the stock. But regardless of what tool you use when cutting pvc you need to wear safety glasses. And you should use the finest blade you can get your hands on. A standard carbide blade will splinter your cuts. Though on a chop aaw if you cut slowly you should be fine.
I mean in my family safety glasses are always a thing while using saws sooooo....

would this diamond tipped blades work? I am pretty sure we have a couple, don’t know how new they are though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hey GBBUDD, I never heard of a chop aaw!
I suspect the saw jaw was also a typo. Either that or it's a tool which my dentist uses. In that case, I'll be looking fo a new dentist!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey GBBUDD, I never heard of a chop aaw!
I suspect the saw jaw was also a typo. Either that or it's a tool which my dentist uses. In that case, I'll be looking fo a new dentist!
Nope never heard of a chop saw or a side chop saw or a compond miter chop saw i believe i own 4.
I have been all over the country and have learned some areas call things differently like a skill saw a a circular saw to a hand saw or spin saw. All depends where you are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sinc I will be diggin into the ground anyway to get the 12 inches, I will just go with 14 or 16 :)

and I can do the slits, just didn't know how much it would help.

Thanks for the info!
After digging up plants I have had in my bog this is what I have observed. Take it for what its worth. Papyrus has deep thick roots so thick it looks like a brillow pad . There is a pic in my blog toward the end showing this mass. Any ways if your bog is only twelve inches deep then your plants will undoubtedly will start to clog your slits and reduce water circulation. If i was to only go with the 12 inch route it would be 2 inch pipe with 12 inches of gravel ontop of that to try and get deeper then most marginals send there roots down some have 24 inch deep roots so it all depends what you put in there. I have 12 inches from my surface to the aquablocks and they are 18 inches tall i imagine that it is completely full of roots thus forcing the sediments to get stuck in the chamber helping to insure clear water.
A diamond blade will work but is over kill and some would not be happy with the plastic caked on the expensive blade. But yes it will work a better choice is a paneling blade. No carbide lots of little teeth

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
After digging up plants I have had in my bog this is what I have observed. Take it for what its worth. Papyrus has deep thick roots so thick it looks like a brillow pad . There is a pic in my blog toward the end showing this mass. Any ways if your bog is only twelve inches deep then your plants will undoubtedly will start to clog your slits and reduce water circulation. If i was to only go with the 12 inch route it would be 2 inch pipe with 12 inches of gravel ontop of that to try and get deeper then most marginals send there roots down some have 24 inch deep roots so it all depends what you put in there. I have 12 inches from my surface to the aquablocks and they are 18 inches tall i imagine that it is completely full of roots thus forcing the sediments to get stuck in tge chamber helping to insure clear water.
ahh, 24 inches hurts cause I am putting the pond liner in today, marking the end of digging, but if thats how it is, then i might as well do it right, also maybe I should extend the area a bit, I will look into it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nope never heard of a chop saw or a side chop saw or a compond miter chop saw i believe i own 4.
I have been all over the country and have learned some areas call things differently like a skill saw a a circular saw to a hand saw or spin saw. All depends where you are.
Yep, it's funny how some tools have different names depending on location...a drill-motor for example. Because the drill is actually the drill bit and the drill, as we call it, is the motor that drives the drill (bit)!

In the electrical field we have a few to. I worked my whole career in New York City and we call scrap copper mongo. Down south they call it rabbit. The cutting tool we use to chop big copper wire is called a rabbit gun down south.

We use a snake to pull wire. Some are made of metal, some nylon. Some call it a fish tape.

Hey kid, hand me that left-hand screwdriver...

Ask a Question