Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Absolutely. You have to be careful when you have fish though. If the current is too strong you risk having your fish get sucked into the aquablocks. I had that happen to a client and I had to rebuild the weir.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i had similar but with the bottom drain but i took a aquablock panel and lifted it above the drain an inch and then covered in boulders to keep the fish away from the suction . worked well

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm back to my pond/bog project and need some advise. I'm starting to lay the pipe for the bog which is about 25 X 30 feet. I put 18" of 1" drain rock in the bottom and yes its unwashed. :( The pipe runs are 20 feet long of 2" pipe and will 45 degree up at the ends with caps to backflush from. There will be another 12" of 3/4 drain rock and then 18" of pea gravel. Any errors so far? Has anyone slid 4" Big-O pipe over the runs to protect the pipe holes? Is there a negative to doing that? Thanks for any feedback.
Bog pipes.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Coming along nicely !

I put 18" of 1" drain rock in the bottom

why? where did you get that advice? so the two inch pvc sits on that?

Also why are the pipes so far apart ? I'd put another pipe in between each, so adding three more. The bog is a good size

What is going to hold back all the water and stone along the side of the bog?

The pond liner is exposed is the water level coming up? Even if it is will you be adding boulders in the pond that come up higher that that shelf we can see in the pic so gravel is added and hides the liner?

How big is your pond and how deep

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Same questions / comments as @GBBUDD. What flow rate will you have through your bog? I'd also recommend connecting the ends of your pipe just as they are @ the input side of the manifold. Will equalize pressure and you'll get more even flow across the system.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the input. The pond is about 35 feet wide and about 60 feet long and about 10 feet deep I think. Yes water level needs to come up another 14" inches. This is more of a reservoir than a ornamental pond so not to concerned about how it looks as long as it is functional. Just going to use a 6000gph pump and see how that goes. I will add three more runs as @GBBUDD suggested and cross link the ends as @combatwombat suggested, I thought it looked sparce once I go it glued up today. It gets buried on Monday but then I have a trip to San Francisco for a couple of weeks so the pump will have to wait till April.
My excavator operator got bit carried away putting the rock in but there should be years worth of gunk settling room under the pipes. No comment on adding the 4" Big-O around the 2" pipe?
The bog is lower than the surrounding ground even though it all looks flat in the picture. The 2" pipes are bending up to where I'm standing to take the picture. The wall between the pond and bog will be/is the same height as the surrounding ground.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sorry @Evguy1 i have no idea what a 4 big o is . but if its just 4 inch pipe i may have gone with that instead of the 2 inch . so it acted more like a settling area than a distribution. that many feet of pipe with a 6,000 gph wont be a lot of pressure .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i would use the 18" of base and bury the pipe down inside that layer . it won't help anything having that much gravel below that i can think of.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I had the same thought - I don't know that it's going to be helpful to have gravel under the manifold. But I also realize this advice is equally helpful now that it's all in place!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I WOULD THINK IT WOULD TAKE NO MORE THAN AN HOUR SET RECESS THE PIPES. Sorry for caps work on one section at a time. There won't be any use in trying to back wash as most will just work its way to the bottom by passing the pipes

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
2 more feet of drain/pea above the pipes was going to do the job??
it will ,
but if you are looking at this as water storage more than fish or swimming you should be fine. your bog is good size if anything should start to be an issue from it , it will probably take a decade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks. I'm adding a second input to the manifold pipe from the other end in case I want to add a second pump. I'm also going to use the Big O pipe to make the other three runs and tee them off the opposite end to the main manifold. It will give a lot more volume of perforated pipe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nice job!

I've never heard of sleaving that "big O" pipe over the pvc.
Idk, it might be overkill or not neccessary. With the pressure of your pump, I doubt there will be a problem.
But ultimately, it's up to you.

I would recommend cutting slits instead of drilling holes. Slits might be less prone to being blocked by a stone.

That being said, leech fields for home septics use 1-1/2" pvc, only have a 1/4" hole every 6 feet and they work fine for decades. That's how my daughter's 35 year old system is setup.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I had never heard of putting Big O over the pipe either but I thought it gives a bit of volume and adds some protection for the pipe. Its doing exactly what it was designed to do only in reverse. Big O is/was normally used as a perimeter drain system around a house so it was buried in drain rock and captured the water, then carried it away from the house.
Overkill is my middle name. ;>) I hate redoing stuff.

Ask a Question