Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
Country
Canada
1678721209654.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Show pics of the pvc before you bury it we may have some advice before t here's a ton of stone on it
About to deconstruct the bog and replace the pipe this weekend. here’s what I’m going to use. Slits face down. Should be much easier to clean and less likely to clog. Wdyt?

Attachments

• C43BB218-4231-42C1-A898-EB48F72B51E3.jpeg
    C43BB218-4231-42C1-A898-EB48F72B51E3.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
About to deconstruct the bog and replace the pipe this weekend. here’s what I’m going to use. Slits face down. Should be much easier to clean and less likely to clog. Wdyt?

No issue with the pipe you're using, but my question is - why are you cleaning and what's causing clogging?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOOKS GOOD , @Evguy1 You will certainly have a reduction of flow in the bog exactly what you want. The extra pipe looks more like the average design. if i had to critique anything i may have gone with a 3" supply pipe to tap into with the 2" lines.
Soon TO SPEND MANY AN HOUR CHILLIN POND SIDE

Reaction score
Country
Canada
How far below the top of the pea gravel should the water be?
Finally got the hole full.
36 yards of drain rock with 48 yards of pea gravel on top, sure hope this thing works.
Yes the water in the pond still needs to come up about 14" so all the liner will be under water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How far below the top of the pea gravel should the water be?
Finally got the hole full.
36 yards of drain rock with 48 yards of pea gravel on top, sure hope this thing works.
Yes the water in the pond still needs to come up about 14" so all the liner will be under water.
some folks would call what you have done now as complete myself included some plants like pickeril rush/weed PREFERS A LITTLE DEEPER WATER while other and most plants prefer having just wet feet. so it looks like you have a bit of both

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bog is lower than the surrounding ground even though it all looks flat in the picture. The 2" pipes are bending up to where I'm standing to take the picture. The wall between the pond and bog will be/is the same height as the surrounding ground.

I'm curious how wide the wall between the bog and pond is?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Its an earth wall so it starts out about 10 feet thick at the bottom and the top 18" is a pressure treated 3 foot wide wood form full of sand and long stakes into the ground. There will be a walkway across the top.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pea gravel tends to clog quickly, which can force your water dispersion around the outside edges of the liner and decrease the effectiveness of the bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi Everyone, I have been lurking here since last summer and have been pretty quiet since last Fall as I get ready to start the pond build. Been taking my time to think about the layout and design. I will definitely have a bog, it will be about 90 square feet as the pond will have about 300 sq ft of surface area.
My question is about the manifold and clean out stack(s), I am thinking at least three manifold pipes for this size bog. I have seen some here that have a clean out stack at the end of each manifold. I would prefer to just have one clean out sticking up out of the bog, I know plants will eventually hide them but still thinking it would be better to just have one. Not sure if that would cause a problem with how effective it would be to clean them all out. I was thinking I would have a pipe at the end of the three pipes that would be parallel to the inflow pipe and that end pipe would connect to the clean out stack. Hopefully I am describing it correctly, lol. Thanks in advance.

Ask a Question