Bog Filled Up?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Been a long time since I've posted on here. Haven't really had any problems till now. My question is, can a bog fill completely up to where the sludge comes to the top of the gravel?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My immediate answer is "no" but a few more details would be helpful. How is your bog constructed? How deep is it? Where do you draw water from? What makes you wonder if this is happening?

Ideally there shouldn't BE any sludge in a bog, so your question raises more questions!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The bog is 18 inches deep. The pic of the brown is what has been on top since we started it back up in the spring. I always shut it off in the winter and just run the bio filter.
IMGP3449.JPG
IMGP3962.JPG

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I had to gravel in all my edges because water was more stagnate there and eventually added enough gravel that about 40% is below water. Do you use well water? I ask because I’ve also had to spay the bog to force the detritus back though the system. Currently with not as much gravel below water and the way I have it channeled nothing builds up in the bog, it’s just at the bottom of the pond.

editing to add a post by @MitchM and @Meyer Jordan discussing Mulm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I use city water. That pic is actually in front of the spillway going back into the pond. The spring was late getting here. It was no sun and raining. Now, we are in the 90's. UGH I have a string algae problem, I threw a tarp over the arbor that is above the pond. Trying to slow it down. It keeps clogging my pumps. My poor pond is just a mess this year.

Reaction score
Nice elephant ears... they look happy up there. How big is the pond, what is the fish load, and do you feed them?

I know you all with the bogs are happy with them (I don't have the real estate for one) ... but I still don't get the long term physics of them. The bog filtration system is a closed loop system, but your are constantly having matter added in via fish food, debris blown in, and dead plants/roots. Do you all have pre-filters on your pumps to remove the bulk of matter before it hits the bog? They aren't acting as your only filtration method are they?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The pond is about 1800 gal. It's kinda split. The one side is 2 feet deep and has a bio filter. This side is 3 feet deep and has the bog. When we added the deeper side, we left a wall between the two. Put a big slab of slate on it and has 9 inches of water above it so the fish can go back and forth. I have 2 koi and the rest are comets and shubunkins. I always give away most of them (except the koi) in the spring, but corona came and I didn't want people here getting them. I feed once a day.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I still had my pond and bog, I had this problem sometimes. But my bog was more for my box turtle habitat with the added benefit of bog filtration. I also ran a Skippy biofilter. IMHO, my bog was too small for my pond, so that’s why I think it had so much crud. Also, my return to the pond was via 4” PVC. Fiddling with the flow was tricky — too much water and the bog would overflow into the turtle habitat (sometimes I did this on purpose if the non-bog plants needed a drink.).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The pond is about 1800 gal. It's kinda split. The one side is 2 feet deep and has a bio filter. This side is 3 feet deep and has the bog. When we added the deeper side, we left a wall between the two. Put a big slab of slate on it and has 9 inches of water above it so the fish can go back and forth. I have 2 koi and the rest are comets and shubunkins. I always give away most of them (except the koi) in the spring, but corona came and I didn't want people here getting them. I feed once a day.
I'd love to see a picture of your pond and bog, it sounds really neat !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Nice elephant ears... they look happy up there. How big is the pond, what is the fish load, and do you feed them?

I know you all with the bogs are happy with them (I don't have the real estate for one) ... but I still don't get the long term physics of them. The bog filtration system is a closed loop system, but your are constantly having matter added in via fish food, debris blown in, and dead plants/roots. Do you all have pre-filters on your pumps to remove the bulk of matter before it hits the bog? They aren't acting as your only filtration method are they?
Honestly I do worry about build up in the bog. Before I start it next Spring I plan to divert water through the clean out lines away from the pond. I guess what trouble me is the amount of algae I'm removing each day from the bog....alas it is it's first season.

I know you've got a sand & gravel filter, as I do too ( my bog is not my only filtration ) and I kind of wish we could blow out the bog like the filter....but I'm guessing that would blow all the plants out too !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you all have pre-filters on your pumps to remove the bulk of matter before it hits the bog? They aren't acting as your only filtration method are they?

Yes, ours is our only filtration. Our mechanical filtration is handled by the negative edge "skimmer". The water that is pumped to the bog is free of any debris. I know others do use pre-filters or at the very least do not pump water from the bottom of the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I always have some dirt on top of my pea gravel, I used to take the garden hose and send it over the edge into the yard. It comes back, now I just ignore it. Part of the bog. But I don't worry about my bog being pea gravel pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I always have some dirt on top of my pea gravel, I used to take the garden hose and send it over the edge into the yard. It comes back, now I just ignore it. Part of the bog. But I don't worry about my bog being pea gravel pretty.

I did that, sprayed it off, the sludge just kept coming up.

Ask a Question