Bog Manifold size

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
slots down i cut about a third into the pipe. cuts every 6 inches and i put a piece of fabric under the pipe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My slits are 1-1/2" inches apart, cut through 1/3 of the pipe and are facing up. The way I thought of it is this: maybe over the years there could be an accumulation of muck on the bottom and I didn't want the slits to be buried in that. But, everyone has their own thoughts and I don't think there's a right or wrong. As you can see, nobody has had any problems (up or down slits) over several years of service.

As far as the clean-out stack, I agree with GBBUDD, better to have it than not.
I'm a retired electrician and we also had a similar saying when we referred to the length of wire needed. " It's better to be looking at it than for it".

My bog has only been in service for a couple months, if that. I don't know if it's because it is new or because of early Spring clean up, but I had to open those clean-out stacks a couple times when the return water slowed down to a trickle. I'm wondering if I used too thin of a blade to cut the slits and it's clogging faster. I used a sawzall to cut them. Maybe a circular saw or a cut-off wheel on a grinder would have been thicker and a better choice.

Generally it seems you can break many bog "rules" and your bog will still do a great job. When reading articles online, some are very adamant about certain conditions. The depth of gravel, the size of the gravel, the manifold pipe specs, etc. Yet, many here have outright broken these "rules" and still had great results.

Just use common sense, learn from our experiences and you'll be looking at clear water with very little maintenance. That's the beauty of it, no rinsing of filter pads, no backwashing, no worries, just sit back and enjoy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Great ideas, guys, many thanks! I was planning on using a circular saw, and I have lots of fabric left over. The layer of larger stone also makes good sense, particularly if the slots are down-facing. The digging is a nightmare. I have to scrape away at the ground with a hoe, and then shovel up what I scrape. It's taking forever to dig out this bog. Boulders don't come out easily, and even the rocks are glued in. What I wouldn't do for a friend who was really, really bored!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The digging is a nightmare. I have to scrape away at the ground with a hoe, and then shovel up what I scrape. It's taking forever to dig out this bog. Boulders don't come out easily, and even the rocks are glued in. What I wouldn't do for a friend who was really, really bored!
I feel your pain! Literally!
Where I live, it seems there are more rocks than soil. I had to bring out all my digging tools. Pick axe, various shovels, metal garden rake, big pinch bar to pry the big ones out. I had one really big rock. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get it out, but eventually I got it and managed to roll it out after a couple attempts. The dig took me a while due to all the rain we had. I'm glad, because it gave me time to recuperate!

Then came the gravel. Three loads with my pickup truck. I had to use the wheel Barrow to get it back there. I couldn't fill the wheel Barrow all the way, too much weight to manage.

I'm glad that's over. It was well worth it though. The pond water has never been so clear.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
but I had to open those clean-out stacks a couple times when the return water slowed down to a trickle
Is you water drawn at the bottom of the pond? I draw from around a foot or so off the bottom. That way I mainly draw just water and I also have a leaf basket between the draw and the pump. I have never had to clean out the pipes, good thing since I forgot the clean out pipes.
I usually don't clean out the leaf basket all summer, so minimal stuff drawn into the bog. Just dirty water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Is you water drawn at the bottom of the pond? I draw from around a foot or so off the bottom. That way I mainly draw just water and I also have a leaf basket between the draw and the pump. I have never had to clean out the pipes, good thing since I forgot the clean out pipes.
I usually don't clean out the leaf basket all summer, so minimal stuff drawn into the bog. Just dirty water.
Yep, my pump draws a foot or so above the bottom.
Maybe I shouldn't have use a sawzall to cut the slits. Maybe something with a thicker blade would have been better.
I have an awful lot of slits though. Every 1-1/2". One manifold is 10 foot long, the other slightly shorter. Maybe it will improve now that the pond has completely cleared up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I feel your pain! Literally!
Where I live, it seems there are more rocks than soil. I had to bring out all my digging tools. Pick axe, various shovels, metal garden rake, big pinch bar to pry the big ones out. I had one really big rock. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get it out, but eventually I got it and managed to roll it out after a couple attempts. The dig took me a while due to all the rain we had. I'm glad, because it gave me time to recuperate!

Then came the gravel. Three loads with my pickup truck. I had to use the wheel Barrow to get it back there. I couldn't fill the wheel Barrow all the way, too much weight to manage.

I'm glad that's over. It was well worth it though. The pond water has never been so clear.
You have a pick axe and a big pinch bar? How wonderful! I had to extend one end and roll a boulder into it because there was no way it was coming out of the bog. A second boulder I did manage to get out, using my shovel for leverage and shoving dirt underneath a bit at a time until I had it near enough to the top to roll out. I probably spent the better part of three hours today on those two boulders! There's two in the bog I can't even pry loose and I had to give up on them. It's 90 degrees out there.
So, the hole is finished! The fabric and liner are in, and I'm off to get the pipes. Well, once I clean up. :)
How many loads of gravel in a Honda Civic? :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
My current bog has one pipe in the bottom. I drilled holes in the pipe, about an inch apart, and increased size of holes as I got further from the inlet. Holes up, with a cleanout.

Ask a Question