BOG "WATER DISTRIBUTION MANIFOLD" QUESTION...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm wondering if there is a "best" configuration to use. Does any one configuration seem to work better as far as evenly distributing water throughout the bog?

image.jpgimage.jpg

And if you use the 2nd design, do you put slits in the main tubing as well as in the "arms," or just put slits in the "arms?"

Does anyone have alternate suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi,

I used a finger design.....

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3706]

The water comes in from the back, gravity feed from top of the vortex filter (about a 3 foot drop), and feeds into narrower fingers with holes drilled in the tops of the pipes.

This works fine, my bog garden has flourished his year, but, i'm finding that it's silting up quite badly. This year i'm going to replace the vortex with a stone filter, and take the feed for the bog garden from the second stage biofilter. That should hopefully stop any sediment from clogging up the bog garden.

This was the bog after one year.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3707]

I built a stone wall at the front, and placed a seperate liner off cut in the bog garden so the water is forced to go over the stones back into the main pond. I then filled the whole thing with pea shingle and planted straight into it.

If i had to do this again i'd change a couple of things...

1. Drill more holes in the sides, not just in the top of the pipes.
2. Make the bog another row of stones higher so i get a waterfall back into the main pond (that might be a project for spring actually :) )
3. Make the bog *bigger*... it's amazing how the plants spread out.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Andy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Should also add that the inspiration for all of the bog garden ideas came from @addy1.... :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just have two, 26 foot long 2 inch pvc pipes feeding mine. This was its 4th summer, still flowing fine, not silting up, but the bog is huge the fish load not huge, around 200 gf. I do not send the bottom muck into the bog, have a good deep leaf basket between the pond intake and the pump to collect any large stuff. Don't get a lot of muck buildup on the bottom of the pond, went to clean it this summer and quit because there was not much there.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, so a few more "concept" drawings.... Doing this sorta helps see how the water will go, but then makes me wonder WHERE would be places that flow might be restricted? In reality, water may NOT flow the way I have it drawn here....

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The final drawing is a rough idea of the shape of the bog, though I won't have an exact size until we get closer to construction.
So, another question: how does the shape of the bog dictate the manifold design (I just drew in this one because it was easier to do).
image.jpg

Ask a Question