Bog questions

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I've had a bog for several years now. It's small, only about 9 sq ft, and separated from my other flowing water systems. It's made of porous concrete, which means that about once every couple of days I add water into it while I'm watering the other plants. Some dirt has settled into it and so far the only plants there are Creeping jenny, which seem to like water and thrive equally well in dry areas, sun, shade etc. They got there on their own accord from across the yard. Don't ask me how they migrated b/c I don't know.

My only question or concern is this: am I creating a breeding ground for mosquitoes by not having running water?

Just down the hill from me is a swamp that probably is doing the same thing. So perhaps I shouldn't feel guilty about creating a mosquito paradise?

I was gonna ask this question in the nice bog topic someone just posted, but experience tells me that it's often better to ask the questions separately as they usually get lost

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can buy mosquito dunks they help .Lowes home depot and walmart all carry them .Plants move by birds that eat the seeds and poop them out or just drop them in there .

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thanks, sissy. I'll look into it

Ken, the water stands there but then disappears after about 12 hours and the area stays moist. I just haven't got round to planting anything there. It's amazing how things sprout up even tho you didn't plant them. I got excited the other day, discovering a greenish frog. I've seen toads before but never frogs. Must be doing something right.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have two non pond related bogs, for carnivorous plants, I fill them with water, to the standing point, but they drain down till just moist. The mosquitoes don't have time to breed in it. So I think you are fine, they need (I think) 4 days of standing water to breed hatch grow and fly. I have never seen mosquitoes in my bogs. Even the pond bog that has some surface water, but it is moving water.

Ask a Question