First Pond, Bog questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Howdy from NE Indiana USA. I am planning my first water garden and wish to filter it with a bog fed by a skimmer pump. I The bog will be the same level as the rest of this small pond so it will be the barrier type. I have been studying bogs here and elsewhere but several questions remain in my mechanically challenged mind.

Should the barrier wall be at the exact height of the water level, above it or below it? Can I build it with landscape retaining wall blocks or will those disintegrate with my freeze/thaw cycles here in zone 5b? Should the water run over the wall back into the pond as well as through the wall? In the bog should the water level be above the pea gravel or below the top of the gravel. Will a single manifold water feed pipe 2" with slots be adequate for a 3"x8" bog or should it have more branches?

I have other questions regarding design, but I'll stick to the bog for now. Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Should the barrier wall be at the exact height of the water level, above it or below it?

I think it depends on the look you hope to achieve. I've seen them built at the level of the water, so you can't really tell there's even water flowing. @addy1 built her wall higher, so the water flows over in multiple places. Or you can build it higher, with just one outlet - all will work. Just make sure you consider the amount of water so you plan to move so your planned outlet can handle the flow.

Can I build it with landscape retaining wall blocks or will those disintegrate with my freeze/thaw cycles here in zone 5b?

I think retaining wall blocks should work - they're designed for outdoor applications, so they should hold up fine. Unless you plan for them to be in contact with the water - that might make a difference. But if they are covered by liner they should be fine.

Should the water run over the wall back into the pond as well as through the wall?

Same answer as above - personal preference. Although I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "through the wall".

In the bog should the water level be above the pea gravel or below the top of the gravel.

Again - personal choice. Some like to see water above the gravel, some don't. Consider your plants though - if you have too much water above the gravel you may find that it's too deep for some plants.

Will a single manifold water feed pipe 2" with slots be adequate for a 3"x8" bog or should it have more branches?

You want water flow throughout the bog - I think I would add more branches to insure adequate water flow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe your asking about the European bog along side where they build the leaching wall between the bog and the pond it's another way to have some fine filtration as concrete block are porous to a degree and add some minor filtering. Those then leach over the entire wall or to a spillway. There seams that there aren't many wrong answers if you stay with the basic principals. I had similar questions in planning my pond. eventually I decided "again personal choice " to go with a dividing epdm from the pond and built a stream. my mistake was not building the containment or side wall high enough to allow for water back up as the bog ages and the water level may rise. so in my case I may have to increase the width of the spill way .

water above or below? what plants are you leaning toward? are mosquitos an issue in your area still water with little to no flow can be a breading ground but it your successful with your pond the eco system could take care of the larvae. If you plan on just below the surface to one end you can always remove some stone to vary the depth needy plants but may require a deeper stone base . addy has 2 plus feet in her bog . I believe lisa has closer to 18" . I have one bog with the stone down an inch from water level and 16" of stone and a second bog with 5 feet of stone and the water is about an inch below the surface.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think it depends on the look you hope to achieve. I've seen them built at the level of the water, so you can't really tell there's even water flowing. @addy1 built her wall higher, so the water flows over in multiple places. Or you can build it higher, with just one outlet - all will work. Just make sure you consider the amount of water so you plan to move so your planned outlet can handle the flow.

I think retaining wall blocks should work - they're designed for outdoor applications, so they should hold up fine. Unless you plan for them to be in contact with the water - that might make a difference. But if they are covered by liner they should be fine.

Same answer as above - personal preference. Although I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "through the wall".

Again - personal choice. Some like to see water above the gravel, some don't. Consider your plants though - if you have too much water above the gravel you may find that it's too deep for some plants.

You want water flow throughout the bog - I think I would add more branches to insure adequate water flow.
the use of an additional pipe will slow down the water flow distribution throughout the bog. this seems to be key to bogs slow down the pressure and allow the water stone and plant roots time to filter through one another to fast and your robbing your energy efforts to clean the water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
. addy has 2 plus feet in her bog
Some crazy tractor driver, me, just kept digging the bog deeper, so it ended up, deepest 2.5 feet down to 6 inches.
The majority is 2.5 to 2 feet. The gravel is above water here and there, below water other places.
It water falls over a 3 foot water fall rock, but also weeps over most of the bog wall.

When I built it, I read a lot, saw all the different ways to build, chose one. It works great. I can ignore my pond all summer and never have any issues with water quality.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm greatful I didn't have access to use a piece of equipment for as long as I needed I would have built a lake and not a pond

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm greatful I didn't have access to use a piece of equipment for as long as I needed I would have built a lake and not a pond
It would have been bigger, but digging on a slope, made it difficult. The upper edge I had to dig down around 4 feet and build up the lower edge around 8ish feet to make a level area. And the septic tank on one edge, septic lines on the other, all found while digging. Apple trees to another edge and maple on the down slope. So a bit restricted on making it bigger.

Did make more flowing water adding add on ponds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am very impressed with your whole set up addy I know what it takes to change a landscape the way you did and like you said on a slope to boot. One day you have got to go through and redue all the photo's - rikin photobocket screwed you on

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thanks I should, need to pull up saved photos on hard drives or mess with photo bucket and dl a bunch.
Time is the issue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My cultures in my bog have establish many are now flowering, Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
All very interesting. So many different takes on bog design. I guess I'll just try something and see how it works out. My profile pic is my only pond thus far so I have much to learn.

Ask a Question