"BOOKMARKING" TOPICS?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It never fails that I come across a pic, idea, suggestion, post of interest that I want to reference at a later date, but can't remember WHERE it was! Is there a way we can "bookmark" or save posts that we're interested in?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yep you can click follow this topic, I don't see subscribe anymore, but if you follow this topic you can click under your name and see the content you are following.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
ADDY -- So when I want to reference it later, what do I do?

Oh, and THANKS, BTW! Sorry, not trying to be rude...

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
If you are suscribed to hundreds of topics though, it still hard to remember which one you saw that picture or post in... the real important ones, i just bookmark through your interent explorer. or firefox, whatever you use.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd also recommend using the "follow" button in the top right corner, as you can then click on the "content I follow" button on the username menu to view all your followed content. Or, if there are specific things you don't want to lose you could bookmark it in your browser :).

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you book mark them, make folders, i.e. filter, liner, etc ow you have just a lot of bookmarks that don't tell you anything (you should see my hubbies computer! and bookmarks)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Problem is, most of the time I'm "ponding" on the iPhone, so don't have browser capabilities :(

I'll start using the "follow" button more & see if that helps. There are just SO many helpful things I come across ...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
At least with the follow button you can go back to the topic. It will be in your list.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Problem is, most of the time I'm "ponding" on the iPhone, so don't have browser capabilities :(

I'll start using the "follow" button more & see if that helps. There are just SO many helpful things I come across ...

You can't bookmark pages on an iphone? I think I love my android a little more now :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, no, sorry! I meant all the browser capabilities that are available on the big computer as opposed to what's on the iPhone. That includes things like having "folders," ability to download pics, access to "messaging" things like font styles, italics, smilies, etc. Far as I can tell, I have the "follow" button on the iPhone. It's just that I seem to do most of my "ponding" via the convenience of the phone.

Sorry, off-topic: BTW, only have an iPhone 'cause of something hubby is doing at work. Have gotten used to it, but plan to switch to an Android soon. Too many inconveniences with Apple: no FLASH PLAYER, no interchangeable power cord (hubby & son both have Android), plus it's not on the same service as family's (THEY get better reception...etc.). Gotta say, I love SMARTPHONE technology!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I was just messing with ya.

I did love my android phone, but i finally decided it was time to go. We bought basic little phones from walmart and are on this "straight talk" plan now. Uses verizons towers (same service i had before) but costs $45 a month for unlimited talk, text, and data. I now spend $90 a month for our phones instead of $220 from verizon with unlimited data, text, and 350 minutes.

I still carry my android phone around with me all the time, I keep music on it and use it as my "ipod" since my ipod died. I can also use it at work and at home as a small "tablet" wherever there is wifi. That straight talk actually has android phones now, so i might switch back to one sometime, but I sure enjoy straight talk, and saving $130 a month way more than being able to use gps (i have one in the car anyway, dont need it on my phone), or check my work email from anywhere.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We have straight talk also but just get the 1000mins for $30 card from Wal-mart as we don't use a lot of time on the cell phone. Works great for us. We share one cell phone. We just have the cheapo phone they sell there too and it works good. Hooray for Straight talk!

Reaction score
Mmathis,

Subscribe or follow the topics. Notices of replies should be sent to your email account. But, go further. When you find a really great post or link or idea, simply click and drag your mouse over the specific text to highlight it, click to display the COPY option and copy and then paste the information into a WORD document. Save that word document with a title that triggers your memory and reflects the subject and save that document in a folder in MY DOCUMENTS on your PC. Name that folder to reflect the subject matter. Build new folders for all sorts of subjects.

Take for instance my satellite hobby. I have one BIG folder named SATELLITES. Within that folder I have many sub-folders like ANTENNAS, MOTORS, RECEIVERS, CABLES, MAPS, SWITCHES, SAT & TP LISTS, CHANNEL LISTS, CONTACTS, FIRMWARE, SOFTWARE, HARDWARE, etc. Each of these folders may have their own subfolders and on and on.

So, create a NEW FOLDER on your home PC (the BIG COMPUTER) and name it PONDS. Create subfolders like PUMPS, AERATION, WATERFALLS, FILTERS, FISH, CHEMICALS, PLANTS, etc. When you run across something unique on your IPhone, remember to revisit it when at the big computer and copy and paste the information into the applicable folder.

When that folder starts to become HUGE, try to divide it up into year by year sections with the same organization. Then, burn that folder to a CD disc for safekeeping and start a new main folder for the next year. You can always pop a past years disc into any computer and revisit old information when you require.

It works really well!

Reaction score
One more point, for items you find on the fly with your iphone or whatever, you might want to help yourself remember where you were when you get home to the BIG PUTER. HA HA. Since I don't have an iphone or any new sort of gadget, I either write down the web address, print the article that shows the web address or copy and send it to my email account right then.

I am either at our work PC or the libraries PC or someone elses PC. So, you might consider buying an 8GB USB flash drive storage device and carrying it with you. I don't think you can use that in anyway with an iphone or other handheld device, but if you are at a foreign PC, you could plug that in and copy stuff to it for later retrieval. 8GB USB memory storage is really inexpensive for the value of the storage. There are even much larger ones available.

I don't know how much you can do with those handheld devices and iphones and such, maybe they have enough memory to store what you need w/o other peripheral equipment, but I don't have one, so I use the USB memory sticks at foreign computers (work, library or friends/relatives homes).

Gordy

Ask a Question