Bought a house with fish pond - need advice

Reaction score
Hi,

My husband and I just bought a house and in the back garden there is a round pond, about 3meters in diameter and with 3 different depth levels. We have counted 25 fish in it. There are fantailed and goldfish of many different colours. We are new to fish care and want to do the best for our new pets. So I have a few questions I hope people can help me with.

1) The woman who lived here said the fish would come over to the surface when she came out to feed them. They don't do this for us. Is it possible they recognise that we are not the person they are used to feeding them?

2) When we throw in some food, they do come up and eat it. I know we should only feed as much as they can eat in a few minutes and not leave food floating in the pond. How often should we feed them? Is it possible to overfeed them or will they stop when they are full?

3) In the last few days, the temperature has risen suddenly and I do see that we suddenly have a lot more green algae growing, but it is mostly a layer around the sides and bottom. There are a few long strands. Do we need to be worried about the algae on the sides and bottom? Will the pond balance itself out or do we need to take some action against the long strands asap?

4) This afternoon, it's sunny. The sun only reaches one side of the pond. I see that most of the fish are now stalled close to the surface on that side of the pond. Some others are still in the deep and shade. We have 2 bubble blowers in the pond and a pump that is recirculating water. There is also a big water plant in the middle. Is it normal for the fish to do this or should I be concerned about the oxygen level? Before the sun came out they were not swimming near the surface.

5) One fish, we call him Bubbles, is very active and repeatedly swims fast to the surface and sticks his head out, takes a gulp of air and then swims around quickly releasing bubbles under the water. It's fun to watch, but I wonder again if this could be a symptom that he's not getting enough oxygen. None of the others do this. Could it just be his personality?

6) Another fish is always leaning to one side when he is not moving. Is this a bad sign?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Louise

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and hopefully you are feeding them spring and fall food for colder water temps .They feed less when the temps are cold and when it gets warm they are like valtures .So don't worry it is not you :cheerful: Sounds like there may be a lack of oxygen in the water and algae grows because there are lots of nutrients for it to grow .You mention no filter or pump and it could be bad if it is a lack of oxygen .Get a test kit to test the water .A glass of my pond water and the test on my pond .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:51120]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:51119]

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I am just feeding them the food that the lady left behind. I will go to the pet store today and ask for spring food. I will also get a water testing kit.

I didn't use the right terminology. There is a pump with a filter and 2 aeration devices - I don't know what they're called. They release air under the water. There is one on each side of the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
air pumps and after you test that should help us to help you .How is the filter set up and what does the the filter have for media .You described every thing perfectly and it helped to know how the fish were acting .Also buy some type of thermometer as you what to know the temps of the water not the air temps and cheap one will do .The pond temps are very important and will give us an idea how and if anything is wrong .Pond temps .also let you know when and what to feed and if fish are spawning ,or getting ready to lay eggs in simpler terms .Fish act strange during those times .

Reaction score
Welcome to the group! Sissy has done a great job with the advice so far, all I want to add is pictures will also help us, help you more. An overall view of your pond, as well as pictures of the filters, etc ... that way folks will know exactly what you are working with, even if you dont yet:)

Reaction score
Loureko said:
Hi,

My husband and I just bought a house and in the back garden there is a round pond, about 3meters in diameter and with 3 different depth levels. We have counted 25 fish in it. There are fantailed and goldfish of many different colours. We are new to fish care and want to do the best for our new pets. So I have a few questions I hope people can help me with.

1) The woman who lived here said the fish would come over to the surface when she came out to feed them. They don't do this for us. Is it possible they recognize that we are not the person they are used to feeding them?

They most certainly do! My pond fish come swimming to me with mouths open, ignore other family members, and head for cover at the sight or sound of strangers. If you stay close to the food when you put it in the pond, they will associate you with food and will soon be coming to greet you.

2) When we throw in some food, they do come up and eat it. I know we should only feed as much as they can eat in a few minutes and not leave food floating in the pond. How often should we feed them? Is it possible to overfeed them or will they stop when they are full?

I suggest just giving them enough food so all are "chewing," then stop. If you give them more time, they will swallow and keep coming back for more. Goldfish in nature graze continuously getting just a little food at a time, so even when they get large mouthfuls of highly concentrated fish food they instinctively keep eating. The more you feed, the more wast they produce, which isn't good for them.

3) In the last few days, the temperature has risen suddenly and I do see that we suddenly have a lot more green algae growing, but it is mostly a layer around the sides and bottom. There are a few long strands. Do we need to be worried about the algae on the sides and bottom? Will the pond balance itself out or do we need to take some action against the long strands asap?

This is good stuff for the health of your pond and excellent goldfish food. Feed less and the goldfish should clean it up any excessive growth..

4) This afternoon, it's sunny. The sun only reaches one side of the pond. I see that most of the fish are now stalled close to the surface on that side of the pond. Some others are still in the deep and shade. We have 2 bubble blowers in the pond and a pump that is recirculating water. There is also a big water plant in the middle. Is it normal for the fish to do this or should I be concerned about the oxygen level? Before the sun came out they were not swimming near the surface.

No problem. They like the warm water.

5) One fish, we call him Bubbles, is very active and repeatedly swims fast to the surface and sticks his head out, takes a gulp of air and then swims around quickly releasing bubbles under the water. It's fun to watch, but I wonder again if this could be a symptom that he's not getting enough oxygen. None of the others do this. Could it just be his personality?

Probably.

6) Another fish is always leaning to one side when he is not moving. Is this a bad sign?

Probably not, but if it is a bad sign, I don't know of anything you can do about it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Louise
Great questions! Enjoy your pond and fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
to our group. We will all attempt to help you with any issues.

Reaction score
Loureko said:
1) The woman who lived here said the fish would come over to the surface when she came out to feed them. They don't do this for us. Is it possible they recognise that we are not the person they are used to feeding them?
Not so much as they recognize a person's face, more the sounds, shapes. Like if you close your house door before feeding they will come for food anytime they hear that. Where you stand at the pond. We don't really know what fish are thinking, but if an owner puts a veil over their face the fish will still come.

As soon as they connect your actions with food they will probably come to you.
Loureko said:
If you're referring to goldfish eating so much they explode, it's a myth. There are more myths related to ponds than facts. But that might be a myth.
Loureko said:
Yes, algae will balance itself out...normally by filling the pond. If you mean will the algae do whatever you would like it to do...then no. Pulling it out, like weeding the garden.
Loureko said:
Fish gulping air at the surface would be a concern. Beyond that it's common for fish to be at the surface going about normal fish business.

However, should you ever see fish gulping air, be aware there are different causes. A low amount of O2 in the water is only one cause, and probably the least likely reason. The the fish themselves can become sick and unable to process O2 very well and so they try to get more. Testing water for ammonia and nitrite is a good first step in understanding this type of thing.

In general, if all the fish are gulping air then the chance of low O2 is more likely.
Loureko said:
Hard to say. In general a sick fish, or low O2, makes fish lethargic.
Loureko said:
It's not a good sign. All Goldfish are the result of severe inbreeding, and the fancy types like Fantails maybe even more so. So you can see lots of odd things. Countless deformed fish are killed before ever reaching market, but many still get thru. Deformities resulting in problems controlling fluid built up in bodies is common and can result in swimming problems.

Bottom line is what can be done about it? Not much. There are a ton of "cures" that owners like to throw at their fish sometimes which can kill the fish...so unless you really want to get into this deeply I suggest resisting any desire to "cure" stuff. The internet as a very long line of people ready to tell you very wrong things.

Four things will cover 98% of keeping a pond:
1. Stay away when 42-62F.
2. Keep KH above 200 ppm.
3. Understand the relationship of ammonia, pH and water temp.
4. Clean before winter. If you miss that window then wait until spring and 62F.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! Do you have any pictures? We love to see picture! That's also a great way for us to help you if you don't know what something is!

Ask a Question