Buried Koi pond restoration, or?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Incredibly, I unearthed a fully buried koi pond, not realizing how large it would be as I kept excavating. How best to "restore it"? I've removed the soil, sides are all slate rock. Approx 10L x 5W x 3D. Can a new liner over existing walls -and proceed from there work or, does it require starting over, removing mortar/cemented side slabs, making it a much harder project? Eeek...THANK YOU!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can't really advise on possible restoration. I'm sure others will soon chime in. However, I will say that the size of the pond may be too small for koi. If you end up keeping the same dimensions, you might want to consider going with goldfish like shubunkins and sarassas. They're still very colorful but will get nowhere as big as koi.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomehu9.gif
@javastudios
I would say that the pond is only big enough for some nice shubunkin goldfish (look like small koi kinda) or other varieties but not koi. Koi need like 1000 gals per fish unless you have super filtration. Easier to just have the goldfish IMO.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A concern about putting a liner in there would be any sharp edges to the slate rock. You could be asking for punctures or tears in the liner. There are questions also about how you would be doing the plumbing and filtering. Understand trying to keep the work to the minimum but you are still going to have a project on your hands.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes you can PLACE hd fabric over the existing pond. then your new liner Problem will be if the slate will want to pop off

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks to each and all! I have continued to unearth the area, and is HUGE...now, it's 15x12x4 min as I keep excavating the perimeter, unbeknownst to me as I started. I think the "plan" has to be: remove ALL rock/boulders (as well as the soil!), then reshape, and basically start with "fresh" layout. Then, new under and main liner, place rocks, boulders and decide on what kind of fish is warranted. Whewww....It's become quite a project! Can anyone advise on best source for rubber liner/pump/skimmer - and what NOT to do? THANK YOU!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
EPDM .045 MILL FROM JUST LINERS. IF YOUD LIKE A CRASH CORSE in pond building and what to watch out for what works eetc i put together a blog lots in there you'kll have no use for but even more in there that can educate a new ponder.

Ask a Question