I have 13 full grown Koi Fish in a temporary 1,000 intex pool - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I had the pleasure of getting a beautiful family of 13 full grown koi (one is 27", 2 others 24"s and then down from there) and 1 turtle.

I have them in a 10 ft wide intex pool. The pool is on my master bedroom covered patio. No sun exposure. No chance of predators.

I am running 2 of these filters and I just got a 3rd one I can add. These filters have a fountain on top and they also have a nozzle at the base which creates a nice circular flow of water around the pool. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXP4694K?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I also have this pool filter setup (since it is a pool) and run it a few hours a day. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E81XQ6C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I have this aerator with one stone in there. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQ2JD2R4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I put them in there Saturday the 21st. I cleaned the filters yesterday and they weren't full. I am doing once daily or every other day feeding presently. I plan to probably do 10-25% water change weekly and not feed them too much. They look like they are doing really good so far. I checked the water with a test kit yesterday and everything came back great (with the exception of higher PH).

I've had some people tell me I'm going to lose all of these fish before I can finish building their pond so now I am freaking out and would love to hear any suggestions. I do have the ability of course to buy a bigger pool and move them to it if needed. There was a 12 ft one available which is closer to 2,500 gallons. Just not sure I need to do that with my plan. I would be absolutely devastated to lose these fish.

I am also open to phone calls if anyone has good experience with this and is willing to give me positive guidance.

Please be gentle. :)

Thank you

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I had the pleasure of getting a beautiful family of 13 full grown koi (one is 27", 2 others 24"s and then down from there) and 1 turtle.

I have them in a 10 ft wide intex pool. The pool is on my master bedroom covered patio. No sun exposure. No chance of predators.

I am running 2 of these filters and I just got a 3rd one I can add. These filters have a fountain on top and they also have a nozzle at the base which creates a nice circular flow of water around the pool. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BXP4694K?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I also have this pool filter setup (since it is a pool) and run it a few hours a day. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E81XQ6C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I have this aerator with one stone in there. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQ2JD2R4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I put them in there Saturday the 21st. I cleaned the filters yesterday and they weren't full. I am doing once daily or every other day feeding presently. I plan to probably do 10-25% water change weekly and not feed them too much. They look like they are doing really good so far. I checked the water with a test kit yesterday and everything came back great (with the exception of higher PH).

I've had some people tell me I'm going to lose all of these fish before I can finish building their pond so now I am freaking out and would love to hear any suggestions. I do have the ability of course to buy a bigger pool and move them to it if needed. There was a 12 ft one available which is closer to 2,500 gallons. Just not sure I need to do that with my plan. I would be absolutely devastated to lose these fish.

I am also open to phone calls if anyone has good experience with this and is willing to give me positive guidance.

Please be gentle. :)

Thank you
You have the choice of using more than one pool, 3 or 4 if you have to but then you will need more filters and aerators but better then having them all in one and no oxygen and polluting themselves up and losing them all! Others will chime in w/more help soon I hope. Best of luck to ya :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need to be careful 2500 gallons weighs 20,000 pounds and i can pretty much guarantee you you roof deck is not designed to carry 20,000 pounds.

what zone are you in ? and what are you doing for a new pond

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You need to be careful 2500 gallons weighs 20,000 pounds and i can pretty much guarantee you you roof deck is not designed to carry 20,000 pounds.

what zone are you in ? and what are you doing for a new pond
Patio could be made of cement on land?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WHOOPS THOUGHT I SAW SECOND FLOOR

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What are the actual numbers for your water tests? Are you using strips or liquid tests? The strips tend to be inaccurate so liquid type tests are more reliable.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would recommend that you get a liquid drop water test kit ASAP. Read up on the nitrogen cycle. Start testing your water frequently. It’s not what you can see in the filter that’s dangerous — that’s mechanical filtration. It’s what you can’t see that will harm your fish — the biological processes that take place to keep the water healthy. Read up on the nitrogen cycle (how harmful ammonia is converted to less harmful nitrates). Be prepared to add ammonia binders and do some water changes. It sneaks up on you….

Aeration is good!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all so much for your replies. My patio is cement on the ground. I have a API test kit, not strips. I do have API ammo lock on hand so I'll keep an eye on that. I'll test daily and plan on 10-25% water change weekly. It was suggested to me that I may want to build a trickle tower filter. Looks pretty cut-and-dry. Per plantmaps.com:

Zipcode 93422 - Atascadero California is in Hardiness Zones 10a, 8b, 9a and 9b​

It was also suggested to me that I abstain from feeding the first week or 2. My husband and I were thinking the same thing. They don't really seem all that hungry when I give a teenie amount anyways. I did add Mela-fix and API stress coat which has given the water a slight milkiness. And when i was adding water they were all up there by the hose sucking in the new water. I have a huge aerator in there- see link in original post. Any thoughts on that? You can see the difference in these pics.

Attachments

• 1698162853.jpg
    1698162853.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20231023_175950.jpg
    20231023_175950.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 7C78B29DC9AB_1698034077517.jpg
    7C78B29DC9AB_1698034077517.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 14252.jpeg
    14252.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 14251.jpeg
    14251.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 14249.jpeg
    14249.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aeration is good. As long as you can keep the water parameters good, the fish will be fine. It's going to be a lot of work for you, but it's doable.

I don't think you have nearly enough filtration for that many large fish. Those filters are not adequate in my opinion.

If your pool is new, it has not yet cycled and the ammonia and nitrite levels will soon rise. Look up the nitrogen cycle. It takes 8 weeks or more for that process to complete.

Also, if you don't have one, get a KH testing kit. I consider it essential. I would also get some Prime to bind that ammonia and nitrite when it shows up. It will protect your fish from those toxins.

Have you looked into a diy shower filter? Easy to build and very effective. I used one with a small bead filter on an overstocked Intex pool for a couple of years. Worked great.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice looking fish.

I am happy all the koi keepers are chiming in. My goldfish are so simple compared to keeping koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I may want to build a trickle tower filter. Looks pretty cut-and-dry.
They are simple to build any media will work its just what media works better.
However this time of year unless your in a warmer climate showers will need to be shut down. Something I need to do very soon .
After the fact I got a realy good deal on my filter but it is polypropylene . Stainless takes a lot more abuse. I have seen on Market place Tons of old professional kitchen stainless tubs for cheap money for what they are.
If you are in a cold climate I'd just continue to run those little filters stop feeding the fish or just hand feed one pellet untill the Temps do drop below 50.
MAKE sure you pools are covered as heron are smart and will walk in under the overhang if they know you have fish and raccoons will climb up and go fishing. A net is recommended.
I would probably separate the fish to two areas so if God for bid something did happen your separated and you have a back up you can place the fish back to one pool. Untill you get the effected pool back in order.

If you don't get sustained Temps below 20 the. Raised pools should not be a problem.
If you do get that low of Temps you could pile Loose hay around the outside it works incredibly well as an insulator.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey, even I built a trickle tower filter (used to be set up on my 300 gal QT), so if I can do it, anyone can! Agree that’s a great idea! The one I made was easy to make.

@tanyaclick That looks like the exact same Intex pool (size and shape) I’m using as my temporary pond (only goldfish and plants in it). It’s turned out to be a great setup. You’re lucky to have a solid, level spot for it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just don't feed them much and instead of those filters you could get a stock tank and a tank adapter to put in the stock tank and you could use lava rock in stock tank with reusable furnace filters and quilt batting . Just make sue of watewr temperature , get a swimming pool floating thermomter . I had to do that when my liner was ruined by a dog that fell in the pond . You can see the set up I did in my pond build and that took 2 month and half months . I kept my fish in 2 stock tanks and they were 3 feet long and they survived with no problems . Idid test the water with a API test kit

Ask a Question