buzzzzzzzzzz new adventure

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A question for you, Addy. I was just out checking the bird feeders, and noticed that the seed scattered on the ground was covered with what seems to be honeybees. It's just a hair above 50 F. out there. Is this common, or are these some other type of bee? They sure LOOK like the ones in your pictures.
John

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A question for you, Addy. I was just out checking the bird feeders, and noticed that the seed scattered on the ground was covered with what seems to be honeybees. It's just a hair above 50 F. out there. Is this common, or are these some other type of bee? They sure LOOK like the ones in your pictures.
John

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I kinda FIGURED they weren't Addy's bees, t! :rolleyes: But they DO look like honeybees, and I didn't think they'd be out in this cool weather. Also didn't know they eat BIRD SEED!!!o_O
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
John
We have seen our bees out flying in the 40's, seemed dependent more on if the sun was out full blast. Above 50 they are out looking for food.
If you are like we are there is no food out there. Our pollen just started a week or so ago, just now they are bringing in a lot of pollen, which they need to make bee bread which they feed the kids with.

A lot of time the bees will go after something like that, including saw dust, dust from hay, thinking it is pollen, they are almost desperate for a food source. They see the dust on the seeds from the birds eating them. They haul it back to the hive, the food bees toss it out.
'
We are around 3 weeks behind in the pollen/nectar season. Once we see the first dandelion bloom nectar season starts. For us it lasts 6 weeks, period. After that we need to feed and baby the bees. There is fall nectar but it is not a lot.

We went into our angry hive, two hours later we had the hive split, which means we took the frames with brood and made two hives with them. Just doing that calms the hive, since they are now confused.
As we were pulling frames I was looking for the queen, it took a double / triple look at the frames to finally find her. She is a pretty one, almost hate to kill her. But her scent drives the hive to be angry. She is an egg laying machine, we found a lot of brood.
Our new queens will be here on Wednesday, that starts a 1.5 week or so watch over the new queen. We check the hive temperament every few days. A nasty hive will try to kill her, she needs to stay in her queen cage until we know they accept her. You can tell because the bees will easily brush off the cage, if they are trying to sting her to death, they hang on tight.

DSC07885.JPG

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
That makes sense, then, since most of the food on the ground is crushed corn, which most of the birds are not that fond of. There is quite a lot of dusty-looking stuff on it once the sun dries it up. Thanks, Addy... you're a storehouse of information!
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I noticed I did say why we made the decision to do the split and requeen.

We went into the hive last week just to check. I lifted the top cover, which means you are not even in the hive, just the top cover, within seconds I had a cloud of bees around my head, around 10 bees on each hand stinging my gloves. I usually do not have gloves on. That did it, done with angry hive.

Scared my dear honey, to see me covered with bees and they chased us to the house.

We have to remove the queen let her scent die down in the hive. In about 2-3 days they start to realize they do not have a queen, that is when they will take some uncapped larvae or a eggs and groom them to be a new queen. First born queen kills all the others.

So we need to get the old queen out, let her scent disappear or the hive will kill the new queen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
If the bear is still around we need to put electric fencing around the hives to protect them.

My boss is a Beekeeper, but i'm pretty sure he doesn't have problems wirth Bears over here! I'll have to show him this.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have, luckily, only spotted a black bear once. I think they trapped it and moved it. Skunks can be a problem, so far they have not messed with the hives. We do have a low wire. If skunks become a problem we will have only a top entrance in the hives, no bottom entrance.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our queens arrived, nicely package, shipped via air from California.

DSC07886.JPG

There are four queens in there with a handful of bees. The queens are in queen cages with nurse bees. The nurse bees feed the queens. If they were loose in the same box the queens would kill each other.

Ask a Question