Hi - old garden - new pond adventure

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My name's Steve and I have just embarked on a project to upgrade, enlarge and enhance a garden wild life pond that I dug over 30 years ago and is well past it's sell by date!

The main improvement I want to make is to add moving water in the form of either a cascade or a (very) short stream and waterfall. I here confess that I have absolutely no idea how to do this. I know I need a pump! I have somewhere gathered the idea that the best way to have a pump is in a "sump" or tank separate from the main pond. How big a pump I need, and how to make the separate sump or tank , are beyond me. Articles I have read all seem to assume that I already know stuff that I don't know. Any advice gratefully received.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Why don’t you post some pictures of your pond — and maybe include a diagram to give us an idea what you are thinking about. Yes, I know what you mean about the articles “that assume you already know.” So frustrating!

Reaction score
Country
United States
welcome to the group there is a bunch of post on the forum that have lots of info on how too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome welcome welcome! I'll second @Mmathis in the request for a picture of your current set up and your future plans. There are as many ways to build a pond as there are pond owners, but we can surely get you started with some ideas!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-11-20_9-21-53.gif
@stevekind

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies and welcomes. Unfortunately I'm unable to upload photos - the board just reports an error every time I try. In the absence of images I won't bore you with verbiage for now!

AF1QipOj9Mht_4ffUESSXygvl1gF1nDl0S3NUO7LxAB8

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh - now I see a little "image" icon with a red cross on it just below my post - does that mean I'm not allowed to post photos?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Describe for us what you have; sizes, gallons, pumps, filtration, plants and fish, then do tell us how you want to modify it. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but in absence of pictures, words will have to do!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I did try to post a description last night - but by then I couldn't upload anything. Trying again now What I have at the moment is a hole in the ground! - here's a couple of photos (I hope)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you right click on the picture while it's still on your computer desktop, and choose "properties", what does it say?
(Size and type)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Anyway - This is to be a largish (compared to our old pond) garden wildlife/ornamental pond. I want there to be a short (very short) stream and a small waterfall back into the pond. No fish - so I'm wondering if I need to bother with a sump / filter box or if I can just have a submersible pump that lifts water to the top of the stream and let it run down back into the pond? If I do need a reservoir/ tank at the top of the stream. do I have to have an expensive filter, or could I just have a plastic tank with a layer of gravel for the water to pass through?

Ask a Question