water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Liquid gold!
Neither of us are good at selling, we are better at giving away. But in saying that these little buzzers cost us a whole lot of money to keep them alive, so we have to sale. Now need to figure out how and to whom.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You see the brown little bugs on the left when the larvae are mid size? Crawling on them? Those are mites, we battle them, came from overseas. They will kill off a hive.
Neat video

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the other neat thing to see is the egg as it becomes c shaped is in some white stuff. The bees supply the food, if the hive is queenless or superseeding, the bees will make that normal white food become royal jelly, than that egg will become a Queen. The egg needs to be just barely turning into a C to be able to grow into a queen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I thought it's a tick!!! What did mite eat? It's amazing to see how the bees grow. Thanks for the tip about how the new queen is form, that's interesting that food is what control what they become.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The mite lays eggs on the larvae. They stay attached and suck the body fluids from the bees. You see them now and then attached to a adult bee. One mite will lay 1000 eggs.
We test for mites and if the level is high, we treat the bees.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I thought it's a tick!!! What did mite eat? It's amazing to see how the bees grow. Thanks for the tip about how the new queen is form, that's interesting that food is what control what they become.
What's that old saying,,, "You are what you eat".
John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My husband is getting ready to harvest honey next weekend and then make his winter bee food too. I'll have to tell him about you. He only has 4 hives, but has only been doing it for a couple of summers.

This is my post on the bees. We just started last summer. But have learned a lot by mistakes, corrections, reading, meetings, and a bee forum.
A lot is common sense, but sometimes the bees do what they are going to do no matter what you do.

We re-queened a hive, (they were mean) well the hive decided they did not like the new queen so they super-seeded her, late this summer. Just now we found some nice brood. We thought the hive was going to be a dead one.

We are crank feeding them right now. We are leaving for Arizona in a 1.5 weeks so winterizing everything a few months to soon. This area is real poor for nectar flow. Right now the goldenrod is blooming, but we had a month of no rain, so the goldenrod has very little nectar.
During inspection, end of July, the hives were totally empty of food, no honey, no nectar, they did have pollen. Brood levels real low.
We started feeding them then.

We don't expect our house sitters to take care of bees lol.

But when you feed early they can swarm. We did not see any stored honey until mid August even with feeding the little buzzers. Up to 600 lbs of sugar so far.

I made fondant for them and the candy boards. We are going to put the fondant on the hives when we leave, the candy boards will be put on later in the winter.

We lost one hive last winter, due to mites, so we are zapping the mites using oav, the mites rain down. We need to do two more treatments before we leave.

No honey to harvest but we did get a great black locust harvest at the end of June.

Right now the hives are strong, will be almost mite free, fed well, extra stores, wind breaks, insulated lids. Wait and see how they winter. Last fall/early winter they flew until December, eating up their winter stores, we started feeding sugar blocks in January ow they would have starved.

We have all carniolans, nice calm bees, one russian a little nastier...........

The pond............cutting plants, pulling pumps, setting up for winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My husband also re-queen end one of his hives. It had been the strongest but he now thinks that she swarmed, and the new queen that she produced was established before he put the new queen in. He came home as they were rolling her out the door! Lol. The hive that he split off another of his hive that produced queen cells is doing really well so far. He did lose one hive after mite treatment. He doesn't make a fondant...yet. The bees are mostly his domain, but I wind up helping him with off hive activities like harvesting and candles. And I provide the pond for the local bee bar! They love the shubbie pond!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Which mite treatment did he use? We are using one that is totally safe for the bees.
He did lose one hive after mite treatment

Oh yeah they will ball the new queen if there is one in the hive. We test the hive when we requeen, put the queen cage in and watch how the hive reacts to it. If there is a queen they will swarm the cage and hang on tight trying to get to her to kill her. If no queen they wander over and get to feeding her you can move them with your finger. The others are almost glued to the cage they hang on so tight.

They love love my pond, always drinking from it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Formic acid ones, I was going to use them then read they can kill your queen, brood, bees if used at the strength they suggest, which is two strips. The one thing nice is it does kill the mites in the brood. We are using oxalic acid, treating every 7 days, takes 30 minutes for 8 hives. That way we catch the brood as it hatches and releases the mites.
We did a alcohol wash on one hive and the mite count was way to high, so we knew we needed to treat now or take a chance on losing the hives over winter.

We were not real good a drone grooming to help control the mites, if we had been we could wait until the hive clusters , treat once and be done. You can treat as long as it is above 40F.

Next summer we are going to do drone control on a scheduled basis, every 21 days, pull it out and cut off. It really helps control the mites.

Ask a Question