buzzzzzzzzzz new adventure

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
We have decided to take on another hobby! It relates to ponds, plants, veg gardens, life in general.
I have planted our yard with bee, bird, butterfly, insect friendly plants. Never spray any chemical. With the plight of the honey bee, my honey encouraged me to try bee hives.

So we are going to set up two bee hives next spring. Now the learning curve starts!

What I have learned so far:
...Buying hives is expensive (find someone getting out of the work) We bought new ones.........ouch
...There are no commercial bee keepers in Maryland, our nectar flow season is too short, we get nectar from april to mid july. The flow starts with the first dandelion that opens.
...The first summer of having bees, you get no honey to harvest. You leave it for the bees to be able to make it through the next winter. That first pound of honey will be expensive!
...Even with all the flowers we have planted, bee friendly, the flowers can be native bee friendly, but not honey bee friendly. They all have different lengths of proboscis, some long some short. The flowers need to match the proboscis of the honey bee.
...A worker bee will produce 1/12 teaspoon of honey in its life, 20-30 days.
...They need water to create the honey............that is easy we have a ton of water.
...The hive stays 94-96 degrees summer and winter.
...HONEY IS VERY VERY VERY HEALTHY FOR YOU

We bought honey bee friendly wildflower seeds. Will be seeding this fall (if we are predicted to have a cold winter) in the spring if it stays warm. Don't want the seeds to sprout and die from a warm winter. With the honey bee friendly flowers, which deer love, we are now putting up electric fence to protect the wildflower fields. Also planting an area for the deer to eat. Mint produces great nectar, so taking some of our water mint and planting it out in the back field, let it take over. Clover is another wonderful nectar producer, throwing out clover seeds in the back field.

If the bear is still around we need to put electric fencing around the hives to protect them.

Just spent the last 3 hours nailing together supers and brood chambers (3 boxes with 10 frames each) have 9 more to go.

At least have until spring to get all together, that is when we get our bees. You can buy a bee package, 3 or 4 lbs of bees and a queen or a nuc of bees 5 frames of eggs, larvae, workers and a queen. A nuc gives you a head start on the bee hive.

You also have to decide what kind of bee to buy, Italian, Russian, etc. We are getting Italian, bigger cluster during the winter, better chance of surviving our short nectar flow and winter.

Also in this mix is where to put the hives. Sunny, out of of the prevailing winds, on your higher land, air flow and not as damp as low land.

Then you need to learn about parasites, diseases, preventing swarming, smoking, harvesting ............ keeps the brain young all this learning.
Im sorry! Our neighbor had hives when I was growing up, No fences, no feeding, no disease control, no special flower planting, nothing. Its a change in the human environment. Weve gotten too toxic and they are suffering for it. (Cept the bears...we didnt have those). He did have a suit and a smoker tho...lol. PS...this was only 30 years ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
A couple of days ago I got my first swarm call, but when I arrived the bees had already left. I decided to get back into bees this year and built several hives to be sure and be ready to catch a few swarms, but no luck so far. Weather has been unsettled here in northern AZ but finally it is warming up. I live at 7200' elevation, and it is just now above 40 F for low temps. It is mostly Ponderosa pine forest in this area, with scattered meadows that get covered in wildflowers in the mid-summer to early fall. Winter drags on with freezing nights until mid May. Kinda of hard for the bees, but they persist.

Down in the lower elevations of Arizona the Africanized bees are now common and are extremely aggressive. Rumor has it that they don't overwinter well at all in the higher elevations, as they originated in the tropics. I hope it's true, but they have hybridized with our more docile bees, and it could be that the aggressive traits are inherited along with the ability to overwinter in a colder climate. If that happens these mean bees could keep spreading north across the county and even into Canada. Let's hope not.

A bee attack fatality just occurred near Mesa AZ: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/05/26/hiker-dies-bees-attack-arizona/85009394/
I lived in Tucson AZ and had a colony of African bees habitate in my roof. Wehad to call out "professionals" twice to evict them. They are no joke. And yes...they started in So Am as a way to extract more honey but they are more aggressive, and they got lose into the environment and are taking over european hives which are more docile. Even the bees I see today are not the bees I remember as a child. They are bigger. Idk what people have done to bees in the last 30 years.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A couple of days ago I got my first swarm call, but when I arrived the bees had already left. I decided to get back into bees this year and built several hives to be sure and be ready to catch a few swarms, but no luck so far. /
We are not on the swarm call list, Getting enough right around our neighborhood. We have more hives right now than I really want. I can only get through 3 hives when it is so freaking hot and humid. Even with a expensive ventilated suit I get to the point of almost passing out.
I belong to a bee forum and in two clubs here, everybody is posting they have never had such a swarmy year. One person in Georgia has caught 38 swarms in his traps. The warm at first which got the bees brooding up fast, then the almost month of cold and rain has really messed with them. They got crowded, bored, since they could not fly, but the queen was still brooding well. They decide it is time to swarm which is how they reproduce.

I lived in Tucson AZ and had a colony of African bees habitate in my roof. Wehad to call out "professionals" twice to evict them. They are no joke. And yes...they started in So Am as a way to extract more honey but they are more aggressive, and they got lose into the environment and are taking over european hives which are more docile. Even the bees I see today are not the bees I remember as a child. They are bigger. Idk what people have done to bees in the last 30 years.

I wouldn't keep bees if I still lived in Arizona. They are so dangerous. I had a swarm move in below a deck in my yard there, think they were normal bees. Didn't know about them until one stung my yorkie. We had them removed.

We love getting honey, but it is not our primary focus. We started out this "hobby" to see if we could just help our little slice of the world.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We replaced a queen in a big hive, she was just laying real slow. But she was so pretty we could not pinch her. So we put her into a tiny hive with some brood to see how she would do. Still laying slow.

When we inspected a few days ago, the gals have decided she needs to be replaced. We have one frame with superceed cells on both sides. They look like peanuts hanging on the foundation.
See if you can see them, there are around 9. The yellowish flat areas is capped brood, also some uncapped brood, it looks white in the cell. Superceed cells are built when the hive as a group decides the queen is not strong enough to keep them strong. They will take a egg, feed it royal jelly, and make queens. The queen is allowed to keep laying until they hatch. Then the virgin queen will find and kill the old queen also kill the unhatched other queen cells. Of if more than one queen hatched you end up with a last queen standing battle. The queens cells usually hatch at the same time or very close to the same time.

If they were swarm cells, they hang off the bottom of the frames.

download

download

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Our neighbors have bees and I love when they visit my garden....it makes me feel good....and!....they bring me little jars of honey too! (UMm...the neighbors, not the bees! Haha!). I know absolutley nothing about raising bees but I sure love them when they visit.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bees can travel up to 5 miles away, in a diameter from their home hive. They prefer to stay within a 3 mile radius or closer.

This is our bees flying radius. Woods farm land, houses.
flying radius.JPG
flyingradius.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Bees can travel up to 5 miles away, in a diameter from their home hive. They prefer to stay within a 3 mile radius or closer.

This is our bees flying radius. Woods farm land, houses. View attachment 91571View attachment 91572
I have yet to see the neighbors bees but the gaillardias are just starting to bloom as well as the susans and cone fowers. The sweet peas are just getting going well. I hope they come visit soon!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have yet to see the neighbors bees but the gaillardias are just starting to bloom as well as the susans and cone fowers. The sweet peas are just getting going well. I hope they come visit soon!
They like susan's and cone flowers. It all depends on when nectar is flowing as to when the bees visit the plants.. Some plants morning some mid day, some evening, I watch for them to see when the bees visit. Right now I see them on the monkeywort in the bog and front yard, only in the am. The tickseed is just blooming they love that plant.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
addy did you see the accident in NC a truck carrying honey bees got into an accident and bees got loose and they had to take a lot of them out with spray foam from a fire truck

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No missed that one, poor bees, usually they can't save the hives, the queen is lost, the gals are all lost as to where their hives are.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It was a truck carrying live bees and it was involved in the accident and they bees were disturbed and flew out from under the taprs covering the hives they were stored in

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It sounds like some of the boxes were broken open, which allowed the bees to fly out. They do get a little po'd if shaken up tossed around and their home is messed with.

They said the truck went on to Florida, they must have not lost too many hives. Which is great.

Ask a Question