Calcium build up on pre-form pond

Reaction score
I have high PH in water which results in calcium build up in pond and in the house. I am wondering what I can use to eliminate some of the calcium in water for pond. I use a very strong calcium remover in the house but can't in the pond. Goldfish are happy and thriving. I have had them for around 8 years. No problems with the water just for me to get that white film out. About every 5th cleaning of the sumbersable pump I have to run it through the caustic filter to get the calcium out. Zone 6 South Central PA. Thanks for your help. Dana

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You need to fix the water at the source. Especially if you have copper pipes.
That high Ph water is bad for the plumbing, the fixtures and the appliances in your house. Are you getting green deposits in you showers/tubes? If so, the high Ph is eating away at your copper pipes.
My daughter lives in northeastern PA and had that problem. She kept getting pin-hole leaks. She got a guy to install a tank that contains three elements that lower the Ph. I forget what all of them are, but one is crushed oyster shells. The tank has an electronic metering device mounted on top of it, so it's self regulated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have high PH in water which results in calcium build up in pond and in the house. I am wondering what I can use to eliminate some of the calcium in water for pond. I use a very strong calcium remover in the house but can't in the pond. Goldfish are happy and thriving. I have had them for around 8 years. No problems with the water just for me to get that white film out. About every 5th cleaning of the sumbersable pump I have to run it through the caustic filter to get the calcium out. Zone 6 South Central PA. Thanks for your help. Dana
Sounds like you have 'liquid rock' and that would be wonderful for a Cichlid aquarium but not so good for your pond. Does the build-up significantly restrict the pumps flow? How large is your pond? If it is less than say, 800-gallons you might be able to collect rainwater and use it to top up your pond. Just a thought. I use rain barrels.

Ask a Question