Can I get away with a 2" Bottom Drain, 5 Gallon Bucket? < 500 Gallon Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I have a Rhino 4" Retrofit Bottom drain and a floating skimmer I used before. The retrofit drain got clogged when "stuff" grew there. I'm slightly concerned with the bottom drain, but not really. A load of silicone and the two rubber gaskets make it look fine. As long as I seal it between the bottom rubber gasket and the plastic, I'm pretty sure that the rubber gasket will be fine. But that In Pond Skimmer looks fascinating.

I appreciate all of this. The idea of avoiding cutting things is definitely appealing. The idea of actually having a clean bottom of the pond is also appealing. I'm really excited and really appreciate all the fantastic advice and suggestions from people here. I figure the retrofit skimmer could always be added later, right?
Yes, the in-pond skimmer can be easily added at any point, and removed, too, so it could be a seasonal "thing". I may need a bigger solution when leaf season starts in earnest (I'm in Tampa, as you know, leaf season is spring), but right now, it's a nice skimmer/pre-filter for the pump. I'm enjoying seeing you craft your solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Yes, the in-pond skimmer can be easily added at any point, and removed, too, so it could be a seasonal "thing". I may need a bigger solution when leaf season starts in earnest (I'm in Tampa, as you know, leaf season is spring), but right now, it's a nice skimmer/pre-filter for the pump. I'm enjoying seeing you craft your solution.

Yeah, all those silly people that think leaves fall in the fall... :) My floating skimmer was fine until sea grape leaves land, they are big.

So I have 6 outlets by the pond, two are switched, and one is in use by my car... But if I were to put the temp skimmer and plumb it to a pond spitter, it wouldn't even matter of the power cut off. So that might be an addition.

Florida gardening is "easy" in that we don't winterize. It's "hard" in that we don't get an annual reset from winter, our things need to function 365 days/year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
It's funny, starting the plumbing - after plumbing the 3" bottom drain, I'm wondering I I want to concrete it in or not. I hadn't really thought of it before, but saw it on some examples. That's more for much deeper ponds (that are more pool like). But quick concrete, the post kind, isn't too bad.

Plan is currently to plumb it in, back fill the drain, put a thin layer of sand (1") on the whole bottom, then underlayment, liner, and be done. But while I'm open, now would be the time to concrete it in if I wanted to.

I'm leaning towards no, but I'm up for being convinced.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
My bog garden pots now have seals for the water to enter and the clean out pipes.

I am debating if I want to modify the urn to replace the barb with a 1” uniseal. Concern is if I break the urn, benefit would be using Schedule 40 Flex PVC all the way through, particularly if I can get the adapter for the pump.
F049CB2A-E726-4F8E-8A47-0516B7D95DC4.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Taking a no barbs approach. I just used the hole saw to remove the 1/2” barb at the back of the urn and replaced it with a uniseal and 1” pipe. Everything is going to be PVC and flexible PVC schedule 40. Going to figure out how to have pumps all with threaded connections.

that plus no filters in the water should make maintenance a dream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Taking a no barbs approach. I just used the hole saw to remove the 1/2” barb at the back of the urn and replaced it with a uniseal and 1” pipe. Everything is going to be PVC and flexible PVC schedule 40. Going to figure out how to have pumps all with threaded connections.

that plus no filters in the water should make maintenance a dream.
was the barb on the inside of the urn? thanks. (I'm learning).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Be sure to use unions wherever something can/has to be disconnected; you'll thank us later!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
So decided that while everything is open I’m going to install a small skimmer as well. I have a few pool skimmers on order.

this is definitely overkill but given what happened last time I’m thinking that overkill is better than underlkill with Florida summers.

so I have brass bulkheads, brass nipples, and brass hose bibs for the returns from the bog. This should be functional and whimsical.

Buildout is going well. When I pick which skimmer to keep, I will decide if I’ll be replacing the bottom pipe wit b h 3” uniseal to support the gravity fed style or stick to the 2” PVC that’s so much easier to work with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Bog containers moving forward. My hard to find 3” Schedule 40 PVC arrives tomorrow. Skimmer options begin arriving Wednesday.
E9D4E0E9-45D3-422B-8185-CD6D3A419C29.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks good. You had to special order 3" PVC? I can buy it off the shelf here at any plumbing or home improvement store.

Ask a Question