Can I get away with a 2" Bottom Drain, 5 Gallon Bucket? < 500 Gallon Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A quick question, it just occurred to me that the Gallon Bucket's seal is air tight/water tight. I'm actually wondering if that's going to prevent the gravity fed bottom drain from working. In generally, the Bucket Filter and the Pond should be at the same water level, and as water is pumped out of the filter is should pull more water from the bottom of the pond back to the bucket, right?

Should I incorporate an air vent, and if so where, on the intake side or the outtake side, or an extra gap?

My Pool has some things that look like upside down Js by my pool equipment, which made me think about it.

Just drill a hole in the lid?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Just drill a hole in the lid?

Concern is dirt getting in... why use a simple solution when an extremely complicated one will work. :)

Actually somewhat curious if the vacuum is a problem or if I just want to fill it all the way with water to prime it and ignore the issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
My toys started to arrive. Bottom Drain, bucket, shelves, I'm excited. I have big vases for the bog. Construction will be starting shortly (and I’ll take pics as I go)

regarding the tank, I got the physics backward... been a few decades. The system neutralizes the air pressure. With an open system, this results in water levels matching.
With the airtight tank, pushing water out reduces the pressure, creating the vacuum that sucks the water in.

this smaller and manageable bottom drain looks to be the right call, even with the air diffuser making it a bit bigger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Pre-filter setup.

3” intake, 1” outbound connector. Flexible PCC will be used inside (plus a Union to connect it)

power goes through a side plug that should be water tight.
46C969BD-3807-47E9-AAFE-9A6F34FBA209.jpeg
uniseals connecting, and some basic “shelves” - I will be setting up a 1/2” PVC support to hold them, and making a hole for the 1” flexible PVC and power through the top shelf.

Attachments

• 2ABAFFA5-7939-48C6-BA87-68BD512F903B.jpeg
    2ABAFFA5-7939-48C6-BA87-68BD512F903B.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 5BCB6EA6-F066-469B-B2D2-26F3E5B32F25.jpeg
    5BCB6EA6-F066-469B-B2D2-26F3E5B32F25.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 37
  • FF39EB24-70F9-451B-BDA5-92A17DFD3978.jpeg
    FF39EB24-70F9-451B-BDA5-92A17DFD3978.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 34
  • BB673A87-EA84-4598-8A03-3E1F55016B5B.jpeg
    BB673A87-EA84-4598-8A03-3E1F55016B5B.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am of the minority and i do have two drains in the bottom of my pond. And even with one covered under a plenum of a aquablock p and lifted to create the plenumn . This way the drains strong suction cant get near the fish as i haved lost n any to the bottom drain that is uncivered and has the air bladder . That i never use /the air that is.e i have found many a baby in the filter basket. This year i will be covering the second drain in the same manner
Screenshot_20210615-001231_Gallery.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
guess i should have read all the posts before responding

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
guess i should have read all the posts before responding
I appreciate that you came in with a fresh perspective - thank you.

i decided to downsize the pump on the bottom drain system to not have the crazy suction. Having the bogs and bottom drains on separate pumps is my plan to have some redundancy. It also means that if the pre filter clogs up from the filters not being cleaned often enough it shouldn’t turn thepond dangerous since the bogs should really be sufficient to clean the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
In case this helps your planning. I got a Tetra in-pond skimmer earlier this year as a temporary solution to a problem and it's doing its job, doesn't take up much space, easy to clean, and no holes in the liner for potential leaks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
In case this helps your planning. I got a Tetra in-pond skimmer earlier this year as a temporary solution to a problem and it's doing its job, doesn't take up much space, easy to clean, and no holes in the liner for potential leaks.

I have a Rhino 4" Retrofit Bottom drain and a floating skimmer I used before. The retrofit drain got clogged when "stuff" grew there. I'm slightly concerned with the bottom drain, but not really. A load of silicone and the two rubber gaskets make it look fine. As long as I seal it between the bottom rubber gasket and the plastic, I'm pretty sure that the rubber gasket will be fine. But that In Pond Skimmer looks fascinating.

I appreciate all of this. The idea of avoiding cutting things is definitely appealing. The idea of actually having a clean bottom of the pond is also appealing. I'm really excited and really appreciate all the fantastic advice and suggestions from people here. I figure the retrofit skimmer could always be added later, right?

Ask a Question