Can I get away with a 2" Bottom Drain, 5 Gallon Bucket? < 500 Gallon Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Those are really classy bogs! I made mine out of a masonry tub and it is now completely covered in aquatic mint and not visible. I also had a smaller outflow from the bog like you do, but it became clogged with roots and sediments and my bog overflows over the top of the container. So I positioned it so the overflow falls into the pond. Just something to keep an eye on if those adorable spigots get clogged with roots your pump could empty your pond over the bogs.
Thank you! The theme for everything that we've done at the house has been Moorish -- inspired by Alahambra -- so this was a whimsical take on it. One of the bogs had a crack in it (I lifted it via pipe - big mistake). I flashed and put some rubber over it, but I wouldn't be shocked if I need to replace the pot.

That said, I'll keep an eye on that, thank you.

My plan to manage overflow is that I am adding the pond spitters. The assumption will be, a clogged bog doesn't impact that situation too much. I am also trying to figure out how, with a one way valve, to have the excess run through the urn instead of just running through a pipe. A Tee Connector with a one way valve should do it I think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Moving towards completion. Note the hogs are skimmer fed not bottom drain, so it can’t drain pond past skimmer.
5130DD1B-6D93-464A-938D-0B8A689EC3CC.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Blah, so where the pipe comes down from the skimmer and into the bucket is leaking (I see wet sand). Going to try to further tighten the union, but if that doesn't work, I will need to pull it out and remove the union. I am debating how difficult it will be to replace the skimmer and bucket using 2" pipe instead of 3"

A threaded connection would be much more reliable than the uniseal that it just sits on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
why are you running a 3" line on that little pond for is there a gravity feed ? no pressure is that why you have 3"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well you have a pond that is what ? 500 gallons?
A three inch line is good to push 8,400 gph
2" is is good for 3300 gph
a 1/2" line is good for 420 Gph
so i have no idea why 3" or 2" i have not read the whole post and i'm actually afraid to. I see you have a tradition pool skimmer that probably takes a 1 1/2" lin e maybe a 2" and a bottom drain that probably is a 3" and thats got you thinking the entire set up needs to be such. well all that means is the fixture/ fitting can handle so much not that YOU need to
i don't understand the 5 gallon bucket

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Yes, as we adapted, we adapted. Regardless, either I can fix the union at the bottom of the skimmer, or replace with a coupling, or I will replace the skimmer with a smaller pipe.

I agree, I thought that 2" was more than sufficient.

I had planned on a 2" bottom drain, was convinced that they jam up and I should get a 3" bottom drain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bottom drains have many strict laws like the need for two drains on the same line so if one gets blocked by a person that the second has the full ability to carry the suction power so no one is ever held under water check your local codes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you were talking a pond like mine 6 feet deep and able to swim in the pond and a 12000 gph pump that could easily hold someone under water if the got caught by the suction/. I would say yes a three inch with a second drain to carry the vacuum would be a must . but a pond that small a three inch line is beyond a handful to try and install.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Our local codes govern pools, but nothing for ponds. I talked my way out of needing a permit for plumbing. Code enforcement wants me to pull a permit for the fix I put in for the electric. Either way, pond is doing well, going to work on repairing the landscaping over the next few days and returning extra stuff to Amazon. It looks great, I'm pretty happy with it.

Would have been much easier/cheaper with 2" PVC (bottom drain) and 1.5" PVC (skimmer), but oh well, live and learn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Well, I removed the spigots off the returns, running much better now, was able to cut off the overflow. I think I can now cover everything. I think that my union under the skimmer leaks, even though I was able to tighten it and get it to stop leaking.

I got a new Skimmer, a 1 1/2" -> 2" Elbow, and 2" pipe. Over labor day I'm going to take the old Bucket+Skimmer out and replace it with a new Bucket + Skimmer using 2". I think that should clarify things. I think at that points, I may replace my 6" nipples with 8" of Copper and an adapter, and that should remove any leakage.

Water got much clearer quickly once the spigots were removed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Less than 36 hours after the change, water is crystal clear (it was pea soup before). Without the spigots all the water is running through the bogs, I'm about ready to remove the overflow pipe. No spitters will be needed unless I find one I love.

Going to get the drain cover properly on the legs.

Need to figure out why the flow from the bottom drain to the urn is so slow.

I think there is a leak in the frankensteined skimmer. My new skimmer + bucket arrived, the PVC adapters that weren't available at home depot arrive today, and the amazon parts tomorrow. I anticipate getting this done over the long weekend and remove that leak. I do need to figure out the low flow to the urn, but it seems to be working.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Replaced the skimmer with a new one, using a 1 1/2" to 2" PVC adapter than 2" rest of the way, working great... Except I raised the bucket two inches too high. Need to dig out blow and lower it. Either just tunnel under or disconnect and dig out.

It's looking gorgeous.

Only thing that sucks is that it seems to still lose water rapidly when the bogs are running. It drops down to not be able to fill the bog's pump bucket in a few hours. There is no leak that I can identify. It appears to be evaporation and/or the plants in the bogs sucking the water out.

Hochberger-House.jpeg

Ask a Question