j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
2, 4, 8 ... You may think you know what the pattern is, but you're probably way off! That's the whole point of this amazing video. Can you solve the pattern before he reveals the answer?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Very fun video. :)

Even though the author's intent of the number test was to explain the scientific method, which does that fine enough, I think he actually was demonstrating a more abstract problem that distinguishes the scientist from the science and it is called "confirmation bias". "Confirmation bias" is where people tend to gravitate to what they already believe or tend to gravitate to their strongest impressions. This is why there are methodologies in science called double or triple blind experiments where the experimenter and the subjects do not know the final results. The whole idea that humans are flawed, hence there are these biases, is in any true science involving scientists and this is one of the reasons why there is the scientific method. The scientific method is just one tool to try to remove these biases so to be sure it is about the science instead of being about the human.

This is what drives me crazy about the hysterical environmental causes and the latest hysteric is "climate change". It is quite astounding that not a single computer model predicting the supposed exponential strength of hurricanes, blizzards, droughts, other weather catastrophes, and that these scientists are looking to be right instead of using the scientific method, that is looking for ways to prove how the theory is wrong. Unfortunately, drama tends to rake in more money than the scientific method.

In the context of this video, the host states two keywords that stood out to be the strongest impression, that is "rule" and "numbers". So, the individuals listening instantly jump to an arithmetic rule involving multiplication, addition, subtraction, division, etc.

It is just a different way of thinking and it is not the "normal" way of thinking, which is why none of the listeners got it figured without some help from the host.

In other words, if the listener was free of bias, then the viewer should have had it figured out before the 1:20 time marker in the video.

Nothing wrong with not guessing the rule correctly before the 1:20 time marker since humans actually are naturally flawed in all respects.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I must admit I did not get it till almost the very end but then I had the advantage that they did not have..........listening to all of their answers and all of a sudden my brain just popped into reverse. Our brains are really a hindrance to us at times.

Ask a Question